African Cichlid tank LIGHTING question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bryanm70

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gal (4 ft) that I plan on completely restocking. Before I do that, I want some nice LEDs but I don't want the top of my tank exposed (hanging lights etc.). Right now I have standard black lids that fit perfectly on them with two 20 inch fluorescent light housings. Obviously my Walmart bulbs aren't doing the trick. Any ideas for good LED lighting while not having to expose too much of the top of my tank? I don't care about cost, so if anyone knows where I can get nice lights and lids that'd be great too!

I'll take picks when I get home. It sits on the edges of the tank with little stands and then I just put my canopy over it. But I'll post pics when I get home so you can see.

As promised, hope this helps.

image-1920602545.jpg

image-1990966606.jpg

image-2669768286.jpg

image-2681647185.jpg

image-905745598.jpg

image-186796057.jpg

I know... I know... Canopy is dirty lol. I'm going to re stain it soon. I wanted to give you a good view of how much it DOESN'T interfere with anything. I run topless which is so much easier. The light is small and narrow. Doesn't take much space up at all.

You can see there is minimal light "spillage" over all after many many lights that I have tried and many different bulbs. So far this one is the one I'm most happy with.

I am looking into a little project though which involves 3-4 Par38's :)

Last edited:
At the chain stores, Petsmart, petco, etc. you can buy the glass tops. That's what I did. Hey are hinged or access, and the back 2 inches or so re rubber to accommodate your liters and such.

Looks great! I guess I'm going to have to make a canopy or something then because my lids won't do me any good with a light like that :(

Craw is right. Get yourself a pair if glass tops and put the light right on top. Or... Go topless. I hated tops on my tank lol. They got dirty and you always had to remove them for water changes etc.. I tossed them.

Craw is right. Get yourself a pair if glass tops and put the light right on top. Or... Go topless. I hated tops on my tank lol. They got dirty and you always had to remove them for water changes etc.. I tossed them.

Mine like to jump some at dinner time. My set up isn't as fancy as yours, no canopy.;)

Awesome ideas! Gonna try the double bright LEDs with the tops first because I have a peacock eel that might jump. And if the tops get too dirty I'll just toss em. Thanks guys!

Definitely! Except I have many more plans for the tank before it's actually done. Custom 3d background, substrate change (from play sand to tahitian moon sand), and a complete stock change (right now I have a breeding trio of OB peacocks, lots of babies as old as August 2012, mystery snails and an 8 inch peacock eel. Nothing too interesting or worth posting yet haha.

Definitely! Except I have many more plans for the tank before it's actually done. Custom 3d background, substrate change (from play sand to tahitian moon sand), and a complete stock change (right now I have a breeding trio of OB peacocks, lots of babies as old as August 2012, mystery snails and an 8 inch peacock eel. Nothing too interesting or worth posting yet haha.

It's all interesting! That's what this forum is all about. But I'll forgive you lol. And I'll be waiting for pics when it's all done. You should do a before and after pic.

Wouldn't water get in the fixture? Or a fish jump out?

Wouldn't water get in the fixture? Or a fish jump out?

Haven't had an issue. The light is sealed so there's no issue there. And I haven't had a jumper. I hate lids/glass tops etc. it's so much easier without. This of course IMO.

Since I started feeding NLS instead of the sinking pellets, mine splash enough the I actually get wet during feeding. Not a lot of water, but they do splash me some. They can be a rambunctious bunch. The fact that at last count there were over 20 fish in a 55 (4 being fry, and 6 juvies under an inch and a half) they go nuts at feeding time. I've finally convinced the wife of the need of a bigger tank, now I just need to find the money for it.

Do you have any problems with excessive evaporation running topless?

Nothing major in the 75 gallon to report maybe... Maybe a 2 gallon top off during the week, usually it will make it to Saturday which is water change day.

I don't want to continue to hijack the OP's thread and I apologize to the OP for going this far.

If anyone has questions about me running my tank topless feel free to PM me.

Dino

Here's what I did. The middle divider in my tank snapped lifting it so the stock glass tops were drooping and touching the water due to weight. Didn't wanna go topless or spend a ton on a hood set. I didn't like the stock light strip w one 48 inch old fat bulb. Crud always built up on it. So I went to Home Depot and in their scrap plexiglass pile got a 48x18 piece and had them cut it in half the long way making 2 equal pieces. Now mines a bow front 72 gallon so I still need to cut the front curved piece. Just traced w a marker and got plexiglass blade for jig saw. Haven't cut yet but I put the back piece on and got an aqueon dual t5 light strip from petsmart w a 10 or 12 k bulb and 50/50 bulb that came w it and laid it on top of back rectangle piece of plexiglass and it works well. You can get a piece cut and leave a couple inches open in front for feeding. That aqueon strip has a thin plastic covering that keeps any buildup from getting in bulbs and it slides out to clean if u need to. It's nice but was pricy. I clean the plexiglass I had cut easily w a magic eraser with no chemicals in it. It's a great tool. Petsmart uses them to clean algae off the inside of their tanks. If you'd like I could try and take pics and post or email u a vid just pm me your email address. Sorry for the long post!

Back
Top Bottom