African Cichlids chasing each other

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koppriecht

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all

I am new to African cichlids and was wondering about their behavior. It seems like they spend a lot of time chasing each other. Is this normal for them or is it a sign of aggression that I should worry about? The biggest fish ( the Peacock ) is about 3.5" and the rest are smaller.

In my 110 gal tank:

1 Yellow Lab
1 Demasoni
1 Peacock hybrid
1 Blue Johanni
3 White Fin Acei
1 Blue Ahli
1 Red Dwarf Jewel
1 Dubosi

I know the Jewel is out of place but he seems to get no more of the chasing then the others.

Also, how many fish of this size could I get? I was thinking 5 more.

That is pretty much what malawian cichlids do.

I would say more like 10 more for 20 total. You want to diffuse the aggression as much as possible.

Chasing is NOT aggression.

All fish chase each other, Africans are no different.
When you start seeing tears in fins, scales out of place ect.. THEN you know you've got aggression issues.

As the other poster said, you could definitely use more fish.

I have a 60G and keep 20 Africans.
Your tank is nearly twice the size, but more fish = more filtration

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fish chase each other. African Ciclids are more aggressive than most especially some of the Mbuna's. Be careful when you add fish, Peacocks are more docile compared to some of the other fish you have.

I would definitely add more though. Especially in a tank that big.

Well my Dubosi, which is pretty small, is being picked on by the White Fin Acei. He gets bit on the sides and general acts confused. He is not eating either. Any thoughts?

Well my Dubosi, which is pretty small, is being picked on by the White Fin Acei. He gets bit on the sides and general acts confused. He is not eating either. Any thoughts?
Your biggest issues that you have too few fish. In order to diffuse the aggression you need more targets.

I have also seen Tropheus become fairly passive when kept as single specimens. He may be stressed and victimized in a tank filled with mbuna. Unfortunately, mixing Tropheus with mbuna won't always work. It can sometimes work based on the temperament of the individual but not all the time.

Any suggestions on what fish to get? Should I get more of the same?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom