African Cichlids??? Plz read

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OsciTheOscar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is the hobby of keeping African Cichlids dieing or are people trying new stuff??? Also due to popularity in the past years of this species driving prices up, is it causing the personal migration to other species???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It might depend on your location but in our club or the Chicagoland area no the old world outnumber the new world by 4:1. Firstly they are easy to keep as they don't have the hyper aggressive behavior of some of their cousins, secondly you can generally cram of lot of them into medium sized tanks, they're extremely easy to breed as any mouthbrooder will mate with any other mouthbrooder even over different genus's, and lastly they're colorful and catch newcomers eye's. In my opinion you may as well keep goldfish or guppies as they're about as boring as you can get in the Cichlidae...

At my LFS the Africans dominate the cichlid selection. So, that's an indicator that they sell the best to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Aside from your common community fish, I would defiantly say Africans are the top sellers in any market.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There ain't but so many fish out there, until they start harvesting fish from Saturn African Cichlids will be a basic as well as Central and South American breeds

Not sure what's in style, for that you need to ask your Facebook friends what will make you cool. Sharks and piranha are popular with Florida drug dealers. People in San Fransisco seem to like those glo-fish.....what can I say

There are tons of species and genus still being discovered all the time. Not to mention the ones that are already known but not available in aquaria trade or readily available except there origins

I know in my area it is hard to find cichlids outside the usual ones such as Oscar, JD, Bumblebee, Acei etc.

I wanted a cichlid tank at one point and the major reason I decided against and went planted was because most if the peacock cichlids I wanted I would have had to order online as they are not sold here. One of my LFS has a few peacocks and other Africans but nothing glamorous or rare.

Also seeing as peacocks run around 5-15$ a fish plus shipping that was a hefty price tag for a 75g stocking list.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I breed peacock cichlids among other fish, lol. I currently have german reds, blue regals, and lemon jakes. They're still strong in the hobby. But finding extremely good quality ones are harder to find. This is due to them being easier to breed, so low quality ones are being pumped into the hobby. But someone who takes their time to line breed, cull properly, and raise properly has much higher quality africans for sale. And usually way cheaper than store. I.E... My friend manages a local pet store. Fantastic store, and as a hardened hobbyist, i mean great livestock and supplies. Best ive found in the two state area. But there asstd peacocks are 50$ a piece. And there mid grade at best. But they paid 16$ a fish. Sometimes stores get some awsome stuff too. Not crackin on the lfs's. But mark up is a real thing. So i do it for a love of fish and line breed for amazing qualities, and i sell them for no where near 50$ unless there 5+" and A grade select. So nahhhh there not dying out. Heres a few pics of my blue regals, and german reds.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1429431584988.jpg
    1429431584988.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 1429431616106.jpg
    1429431616106.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 1429431641320.jpg
    1429431641320.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 1429431672451.jpg