African Clawed Frogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am thinking about getting a pair of Albino African Clawed Frogs. They are fairly large, one is about 3" one about 4". What size tank should I get for them? I've read they should have 10 gal per frog. They would be housed by themselves. Substrate? Is sand suitable for them? I want to do my research before purchasing them. I've done all sorts of reading but would like info and input from any members that might have them. TIA.

Hey Zagz...I have an African Clawed Frog....also an albino and I have done some research. Here are a few links:

http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/species/clawed.html

http://www.xenopus.com/husbandry.htm

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=17&cat=1848&articleid=3046

I understand sand is a good substrate (they do swallow, but it passes right through) or very large gravel (too big to swallow).....that's what I have. I think they do best like you said 10 gallons per frog so you might think about a 20 set-up.....I have my frog in a 10 with a dwarf gourami that so far he hasn't seemed interested in eating.....but they will eat fish. Mine tried to eat a betta!!! 8O He was attracted to the long, flowing fins.

I've read that they are as about as messy as goldfish....or more, so I have my 10 triple filtered. They breathe air so the tank cycle isn't quite as critical. It took me forever to cycle my frog's tank and I think it only cycled when I added the gourami.

I feed mine a combo of Reptomin sticks, freeze dried krill and freeze dried shrimp. He also eats frozen bloodworms, white worms, and brine shrimp when the gourami gets fed....my froggy will come to the surface and eat right out of the eye dropper. They are very cute and very fun to watch.

I highly recommend them. :D HTH

crazyred said:
I understand sand is a good substrate (they do swallow, but it passes right through) or very large gravel (too big to swallow).....that's what I have. I think they do best like you said 10 gallons per frog so you might think about a 20 set-up.....I have my frog in a 10 with a dwarf gourami that so far he hasn't seemed interested in eating.....but they will eat fish. Mine tried to eat a betta!!! 8O He was attracted to the long, flowing fins.

I've read that they are as about as messy as goldfish....or more, so I have my 10 triple filtered. They breathe air so the tank cycle isn't quite as critical. It took me forever to cycle my frog's tank and I think it only cycled when I added the gourami.

I feed mine a combo of Reptomin sticks, freeze dried krill and freeze dried shrimp. He also eats frozen bloodworms, white worms, and brine shrimp when the gourami gets fed....my froggy will come to the surface and eat right out of the eye dropper.

I put a couple rocks and ornaments large enough to not be swallowed with my ACF. They allow her to stay in one spot and rest while not being somewhat pushed around by the filter (it is gentle but can still move her a bit). I got the rocks at Walmart in the fish section in a little mesh/net type thing. A 20 gallon Long for 2-3 I've heard is best for these frogs, from people who specialize with them. Also, keep the temp in the 70-75F range. I keep mine at 72F and she's doing great.
They will eat pretty much anything (including small enough frogs) they can swallow. They are only "messy" if you feed foods that fall apart and can't be swallowed easily. I feed Reptomin pellets as a staple with frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp and a few other things as supplements/treats.
It is best to have the tank cycled since frogs have permeable skin and don't do too well with ammonia. Mine also comes to the surface to eat.

Thanks both of you! I did decide to get 2 of them. Not worried about the cycling LOL, 8 tanks now, just swapped filters from an established tank, some of my tanks run 2 filters so the exsisting tank will not be harmed. :D

A couple of pics, they are having a blast stirring up the sand to play. What depth sand is best? I just put in a small amount for now. I think one is male and one female.

1001424.jpg

1001423.jpg

The tank is 20 gal, and the temp is 75-76. That was what most sites recommended. They certainly are animated at times. They have a huge rock and some plants to rest under.

Gosh I think I am in love with them already! They are awesome! So glad you guys recommended them! Although I think I fell in love when I saw them at the lfs yesterday. I held back for 24 hours though to do research. Man have I come a long way! Holding off impulse buying of fish, wow!

Heh, they can be quite the characters.
I've always seen the recommended temp range of 68-75F, where did you see 75-76? http://www.xenopus.com specialize with them and say this species should be kept at the 68-75 range.

Several of the websites I read, although honestly I read so many I don't remember which ones, said 68-80! I will slowly reduce the temp a few degrees so as not to shock them. This is precisely why I double check things here!

Toirtis, I have no more room! I need that new house come spring! The bright side is when I put this place up for sale, it will be readily obvious why we are selling LOL.

It seems after I read the recommendations on that website that many sites are confusing Xenopus Laevis & Xenopus Tropicalis. Or just combining the recommendations. 8O

If I ever get to the point of having a new house built, it will have a large section added on which will be big enough to house 50 tanks or so, lol. And all the walls plumbed for easy PWC's. Then have 5 or 6 square tanks out in the middle for freshwater stingrays. But that's only if I ever get rich, lol.

Wolf I know what you mean, I can't afford to build a dream house like that but the new house will have at least 4 bedrooms, and a family room/great room big enough to house some tanks, and I will reinforce the floors as necessary. LOL. Also will have secured backyard for my cats like this house now. :) :) :)

Cool.....
Currently I'm in a small 2 bed 2 bath house, 2nd bedroom was converted to my computer office, lol. The house is only 850sq. ft. And going on my 3rd tank, will be in the dining room so when you walk in the front door, you are viewing the planted tank. Then when I get my 180G+, will be in the master bedroom, which is on concrete slab, so no need for strengthening the floors, lol. Then the dresser goes into the walk-in closet. Then there will be no more wall space, lol.

Bloodworms are their favorites, sinking frog foods, going to do the research on which brands are best. So far have only fed them a little bit of worms due to the new enviroment stress factor. They chowed down big time though, they will be fed once a day.

I feed mine Reptomin by Tetra.....I found one that has the Reptomin sticks, the freeze dried krill, and the freeze dried brine shrimp. My froggy loves it all. She also gets frozen blood worms, brine shrimp and white worms. They do have hearty appetites. I'm glad you're enjoying your frogs Zagz......they are the coolest!! Here's a pic of mine.....she looks just like yours!!

Attachments

• kermit.jpg
    kermit.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 341

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom