African Frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are ok with large fish that the frog can't swallow and the fish won't hurt or eat. Also, the fish have to be able to tolerate temps of 68-75F. That's the range those frogs should be kept in. They also don't like much movement and IMO are best kept in their own tank in a small group with no filter and frequent PWCs.

Yea I prolly ought to just set her up here own tank. She loves African Frogs and Blue Crayfish... they aren't compatible by chance right? LOL

Filters are just fine with them (and an excellent idea, based on their waste capacity), but I suggest either a canister or sponge filter (high capacity one, like a HydroSponge V).

Well, I think a very quiet filter that doesn't produce much current is best. From what I've read, they wouldn't like the loudness and vibrations of sponge filters. If someone disagrees, I'd be interested in knowing why.

They are no more or less disturbed by it than fish are, which appears to be pretty much not at all. If they are disturbed by it in any significant way, they have never shown it an any of the habitats and breeding groups I have worked with, which all used sponge filters.

I have two filters on my 10 gallon ACF tank. One is an HOB with pretty vigorus outflow and the other is an internal filter. My frog doesn't seem bothered by either. I read another article once that said these frogs are messy on the level of goldfish, so I think extra filtration is totally warranted......never heard the vibration story.....have my doubts. :?

Don’t know about the blue lobster, but ADF are fine with wood shrimp. Similar in appearance, except for the bright blue coloring. :)

I don’t think any of Elmer’s community fish would eat the frogs, but they might out-compete them for food. I have kept them unsuccessfully with platies and cories; successfully with endlers and neons. For me, the key in choosing suitable mates is finding passive fish that (hopefully) can’t fit whole bloodworms or brine shrimp in its mouth. I would consider trying mates like black skirt tetras, cherry barbs, guppies, harlequin rasboras, but would give the skip to gouramies, swords, dwarf cichlids, red eye tetras, etc.

Johnmc said:
I don’t think any of Elmer’s community fish would eat the frogs, but they might out-compete them for food. I have kept them unsuccessfully with platies and cories; successfully with endlers and neons. For me, the key in choosing suitable mates is finding passive fish that (hopefully) can’t fit whole bloodworms or brine shrimp in its mouth. I would consider trying mates like black skirt tetras, cherry barbs, guppies, harlequin rasboras, but would give the skip to gouramies, swords, dwarf cichlids, red eye tetras, etc.

Yes, but we are talking about, and the Elmer's site is suggesting (lord knows why), the big guys, the Xenopus, that get 5"-6" long and have no problem inhaling large platys.

I moved my 7 year old ACF in with my 4" (at the time) midas...

He has been missing for 2 months now, and I took out everything... he ate him :cry:

Back
Top Bottom