African vs Other cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay everyone now I am thouroughly confused, I went to the LFS and just wondered around not really looking for anything. But alas I did come to something intresting. Ever since I have come across Pimpsmack, my big Jack Dempsey, I realized that I should try to make the best tank I can for the elder. With that idea in the LFS, I went looking for products that would suit his breed. This is the discouraging part... I have noticed a lot of products always stating "great for AF cichlids" and the such, or just plain said "for african cichlids". It was depressing because I know Pimpsmack is either an American (what some websites said), or South American Cichlid.

What is the difference between these two types of cichlids. I want to make sure everything is good for him and not for another type of cichlid. Also what eating patterns should I follow for the beast? Thanks!

Big difference between the two. African Cichlids require a high pH & hard water with a little salt added in. S. American's, on the other hand, require a softer acidic water. Never mix two different regions together (i.e. S. American and African)!! Never even mix the three African lakes together!! This is important as this fish will not do well if done.

As for the feeding patterns, I let someone else answer that. I am relatively new to cichlids myself.

Back
Top Bottom