After some more research it hit me...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talon242

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been diagnosing the type of algae I've had as the wrong type, for who knows how long. I though it was black brush algae which some of it is but I'm not too worried about that because its only in a few places. I think I have a type of cyanobacteria :( The thing that kept throwing me off it that it was dark color, rather than the bright green stuff I kept seeing everywhere online. I feel kind of dumb but I plan on doing a black out after todays waterchange.

Edit: I've done a few tests so far but I will have to finish the rest after my class.

Nitrate 10ppm
PO4 .5ppm

That's a good idea, blackout was the only thing that helped me kill it. Make sure you remove as much as possible during water change. Also, only blackout for 3-4 days. It might take a couple rounds of dark period to completely starve it.
GL!!!!

I'm not very good at seeing shades of green so I always rely on my nose to identify BGA/cyano. It smells simply horrible, which makes it very easy for me to identify :)

Yeah, the smell of cyano is a dead giveaway. and yeah, cyano can be bright green, cyan/blueish, brown, and even black.

Well I finished my backout it was for 4 days and its still there :( I just finished doing a water change. What do I do from here?

Yeah, its all over my gravel I removed as much as I could, my fingers were like prunes lol. I'll probably remove some every day this week.

Back
Top Bottom