Aggressive Blue Danios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

illuzion7

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, so I have searched everywhere. Everyone says they are not aggressive and work well in big tanks, so on and so forth...

Here is the weird part...there was one big female. She chased everyone around, particularly my rummy-nose tetras. I was tired of the harassment so quarantined her. Next thing I know the other female started the same thing. I then separated here next. Now there is a male doing it and I can't figure this out.

Has anyone else seen this or have suggestions? I don't mind bringing them back to LFS, but ideally I would just like peace in the tank.

My stock:
12 Neon Tetras
5 Rummy-nose Tetras
4 Yo Yo Loches
4 Clown Loaches
5, now 3 Blue Danios

I have never had danios, but usually once it starts it wont stop. Returning them might be the only option.

P.S. Clown loaches new huge tanks. They can grow over 10". Even though they grow very slow you should still think about getting them a bigger tank of finding a new home for them in the future.

I would suggest getting more. When I was researching for my community tank, I found that they get nippy/aggressive toward other fish when there are less numbers of their own. With more of their own in the tank, they will keep the aggression to themselves and also be more spread out within the group. I have 8 zebra danios in my community and haven't had an issue. They're with cardinals, 3 honey/sunset gourami, a few guppies, rams, and sterba cories. Not once have I seen the danios nipping at the other fish.

well I ended up bringing the 2 females back to LFS. The males are much calmer now and hang out with the rummy-nose tetras.

As for the clown loaches, I will trade them out when they become to big. They are little guys right now, but happy with the set up.

Back
Top Bottom