Aggressive Venustus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stonefly

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i have a very aggressive (male i think) venustus. He chases everyone around all the time. I have a 56 gallon column tank that has 12 -14 African hap cichlids right now. He is the biggest fish in the tank, getting another tank is out of the question right now so i can't quarantine him. Is there anything i can do to ease some of its aggression? Will adding more fish help? I am open to any suggestions accept for buying another tank at the moment. (Wife says no more tanks)
Thanks in advance for any help!

Sent from my LG-D959 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Scenery change may help or some ppl put bullying fish in a bucket for a few hours then reintroduce them

I change the rocks around every other wc, done weekly. I also have tried the bucket trick, maybe i will try out again...

Rehome him.

You don't think it will get better? He had the potential to be a very good looking fish, was hoping not to have to do that. But i will of that's my only option.

If you have tried those I dont see why rehoming him wouldnt work. Then you have free space for a new fish. Yes they are very beautiful but we gotta do what we gotta do ya know!

If you have tried those I dont see why rehoming him wouldnt work. Then you have free space for a new fish. Yes they are very beautiful but we gotta do what we gotta do ya know!

So i guess i will try and find some one that wants him.... probably be better for the other guys in my aquarium.

Wait, try this first. Stop rearranging things and let them set the dominance. Give him a good month. If he is just non stop for that whole month I think its safe to rehome him

Venustus get 8-10". And will eventually require a 75 gallon +. They also prefer a 36"-48" swimming length. Awesome fish, looking to get some when I get a larger tank. But if that's not in the cards, I would rehome while you can.

The males will eventually get blue on their heads, or turn all blue, females will stay the same as when both male and female are juvenile

Oh. Ok. I have 1. Interested in seeing what it is. Then getting a mate. And so far I have 4 Juvenile livingstoni.

Venustus and livingstoni are different breeds. And with that quantity, long term, I say the 76 will eventually be to small

Yeah. I know they are different but to a newbie they looked the same till I started really looking into them and noticed the markings were different on one.

Back
Top Bottom