aglea bloom...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2revup

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys,
I have just looked at the tank and i have thosands of bubbles overs some of my rocks, mainly to the left side of the tank the right side looks ok. Is there any reason for this what could it be?

water levels are fine
ph 8.2
nitrate > 10
nitrite 0
amm 0

here is some background info
this has only since i got my halides.
Its a green forming on the rocks and substrate, but if its left for a while it goes a bownish purple. I did my weekly water change and got rid of much as i can and within 3hrs or so after the water change the substrate started to go green again.... its driving me batty. Is this just the tank getting used to the lights (now 2.5 weeks old).

its getting worse day by day all of the rocks are starting to cover in a green aglea. the substrate is also covered in a green aglea, if i try to clean the substrate within a few hours its starting to form again...

also there is bubbles everywhere, all over my rocks not so much the sand bed but rocks its all over everything, and even the back of the tank (dont clean the back much)

how long do should i expect this bloom to last its been about 1.5 weeks but its getting worse by the day.

Any ideas would be a big help.

Bubbles on one side and not the other makes me wonder abut circulation and powerhead placement and quantity. Whether you have enuf.

Also, how long are your lights on daily? 12 hrs is too long IMO.

It sounds like a solid case of cyano to me.
I agree, I had the same problem when I upgraded my lights. I would siphon out as much as possible and do a PWC once a week. At least, that is what worked for me.

How about your feeding schedule? Heve you checked your top off water and PWC water for nitrates and phosphates?

halides on at 8am to 4 pm and the ho antics are on 6 to 6

all water changes with ro/di so there should be be phoshate.

i always do pwc changes every week.
the bubbles are on the back wall where the aglea is... and no there isnt too much circulation on the back wall becasuse of the rock.

i have 2 x 3600 Lph PH + a 1500 LPH caniser so IMO i should have more then enough maybe placement is the issue

i have one half way down the bottom at a slight angle so it shoots onto the glass at about 45 degree angle shooting toward the middle (this is on the far right side
left side i have on that is also at a 45 deg angle up high shooting at th glass toward the middle also
i have the caniser shooting at thr far right at the top shooting directly at the glass.

What do you have in your canister, as far as media/sponges? I only run my lights for 8 hours.

Unless you retire at night at 6 or you got different home viewing times, I'd consider turning them on later - like noon or 1 and off at 11. Actinics included.

When my tank took off like that. I added my tangs and an algae blenny. No more green algae. Now it's all gone though, I believe my lawnmower blenny perished just recently. He didn't eat any prepared food. BUt one would do a heck of a job with what you may have. Just hop you can get one that eats other things. :(

Unless you retire at night at 6 or you got different home viewing times, I'd consider turning them on later - like noon or 1 and off at 11. Actinics included.

The reason i do this is because the tank is does see some light through out the day(through the window), and so i just have my lights on as long as the sun is out. And night i have moon lights which stay on till about 9pm

also i though cyno was a hary purple / brown color, this is more green then sanythin.

canister does have sponges which are replaced monthy and cleaned fortnightly, also has carbon and LR rubble.

roka how long did this last for you when you upgraded?

I noticed the bloom about 3 weeks after the upgrade of lights. They cyano took over, like wildfire. After removing the sponges from my canister, I siphoned as much out as I could, did a 25%PWC. Did the same thing next week and that was it, all gone. So, it took about 3 weeks total. I also had tried to reduce feeding to every three days (WHICH I do not recommend), reduced lighting and PWCs, all to no real avail.

Back
Top Bottom