Ahh, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommaof4boys

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Dad bought me 2 rainbow sharks... he brought them over today... He was so excited about them, but I don't have an aggressive tank, what am I supposed to do with them? They will eat my tetras, and my 10 gallon isn't suitable for them, especially since its overstocked with the pleco, black skirts, and rasbora! They are all big fish though and could fend for themselves.. I don't think the tetras stand a chance! :-/ any ideas?

Rehome / return them ... or get a much bigger tank. Two rainbow's in a tank will lead to a turf fight as they mature ... their territorial aggression will kick in.

Id much rather a group of pictus catfish over these sharks, but they are from my dad and he was stoked about them, he's had them before and id feel really bad about taking them back! I probably will have to put them with my tetras in my 44 and suffer the loss! :(

You could rehome them, saying they are happier in a bigger tank. Or they could have had an "accident" (and you secretly rehome them), don't they jump? And let someone in your area or group have them. I had an over population of mollies and my girlfriend took some off my hands. I got the accident idea from a dear abby article. I don't like disappointing people, but you have to think of the well being of the fish. and if you were that fish would you like to be stuck in the size of a bathroom for hours on end?

I keep one with like 15 guppies and none have ever been pestered or hurt. Also a Pictus would be worse than a rainbow shark because they are known to eat littler fish.

What about if I set the 55 up tonight, put the sharks in the 10 until the filter with BB has ran long enough to make the rank safe them switch them to the 55? Would that work?

Yeah how big are they now?? Make sure each has a log to claim as their territory and they should be more peaceful.

vanimal said:
Yeah how big are they now?? Make sure each has a log to claim as their territory and they should be more peaceful.

They are about 2 inches

Well about 2 weeks and then you could finish in the 60 gal with water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrites down. Or a month maybe longer and it should be fully cycled.

What about if I set the 55 up tonight, put the sharks in the 10 until the filter with BB has ran long enough to make the rank safe them switch them to the 55? Would that work?

As long as they're juveniles, they'll tolerate each other.. But in about another inch of growth is when that aggression sets in. A 55 gal will work for one rainbow shark... Two is iffy, even with territories set up.
Your best bet us for plants, Rick & DW to break up the line of sight.

Well, the sharks are in the 10 gallon with the black skirt, pleco, and rasbora... They seem to be doing alright... So far I'm not seeing any aggression! Hope it stays like that until the 55 gets up and running! :) Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions! My Dad has already asked about them! Lol I think I should find him a tank again! Thanks again everyone!

I used a quick start refrigerated product to start my tank. I've used this product before for fresh tanks and I've not had a problem. My mom and pop LFS carry it. Not sure about the big box stores.
I'm in Indiana too. What part are you in? If you are in the northwestern part The Ark has the quick start product.

Well, the sharks are in the 10 gallon with the black skirt, pleco, and rasbora... They seem to be doing alright... So far I'm not seeing any aggression! Hope it stays like that until the 55 gets up and running! :) Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions! My Dad has already asked about them! Lol I think I should find him a tank again! Thanks again everyone!

Good luck with them... I'd say your fine for now... Keep us posted.(y)

Back
Top Bottom