Air pumps and stones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thepokerkid227

Aquarium Advice Activist
Trying to get an opinion, think there's a need for air stone and pump for a fully planted tank? Thanks!

Joe

Can't hurt, I like having the extra surface agitation personally, not to mention some fish like to mess with bubbles, funny stuff.

I currently have a hob filter I figure that causes enough surface agitation to give adequate amount of 02. It's a 20g tank, just seeing if others agree

I have a couple air stones run when the lights are off in my 46 gallon planted

Using Airstones

Trying to get an opinion, think there's a need for air stone and pump for a fully planted tank? Thanks!

Joe

Hello Joe...

An air stone will add a bit of oxygen to the tank water. Something you don't want if you have a lot of plants. Oxygen is a byproduct of aquarium plants, they release it, so they won't do well if you use anything that mixes more O2 into their water.

B

Plants take in Co2 whilst under lights and give out oxygen - good for the fish. When it's dark plants reverse this process and give out low level Co2 so I use an air stone during lights out to help the oxygen levels during the night. I use Co2 injection during the day and would not want to lose it all to surface agitation.
So IMO, using Co2 or not, I would only use an air stone at night when you have a heavily planted tank with fish.
Any help?

Back
Top Bottom