Air stone? Thermometer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SarahBear1009

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon that I keep around 78. I have a fluval 306 and an AC 110. Do I need an airstone too??
I keep hearing about them from some of the fish you tube channels, but I'm just unsure if its necessary. None of my fish gasp at the surface (well my Opaline gourami hangs there sometimes, especially after water changes or after feeding) but labyrinth fish tend to do that.

Also, I have one of those sticky thermometers that stick on the side of the tank. Are those accurate or should I get something else???

Thanks all!

Hello Sar...

Everything depends on your water change routine. There is more more water in the tank than anything else, so it makes sense to maintain it first. By changing most of the water, frequently, you maintain a high oxygen level in the water. Next is filtration. You have plenty of it. This filter moves the surface of the water and mixes oxygen into the tank water. An air stone does the same thing, only a fraction of the filter. The small bubbles move the surface and you have oxygen mixed into the water.

The sticky thermometers are fine. Just make sure they don't appear damaged or you didn't damage it when you stuck it to the side of the tank.

B

If you DO get an airstone, you may find some of your fish like it. My cories and some of my mollies love playing in bubbles.

Bettas, or at least I've never put an airstone in a betta tank. Any fish that likes more still water I think would probably not like them much or ignore them. My Raphael catfish is a grump and hates everything--so I've never seen him play in them. But I've even seen my snails play with bubbles.

Back
Top Bottom