Airstone concern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I have been running an airstone 24/7 in my planted tank since my fish seemed like they were lacking O2 about a month ago. I am not using any CO2.

Today I bought a new airstone because the other one was old. I noticed that this one releases a lot more bubbles. I also noticed that I could feel a little vibration on the glass. I put my ear to the tank it must be loud in the water because I can hear it. Does this disturb fish?

I never thought about this before, but then again never ran a pump 24/7. This is probably a very dumb question but I would not like trying to sleep with all that noise, and at night is when I need it the most.

Thanks

Never really thought about it before. Good question. :) Consider that most fish in their natural habitats have running water around that must make noise at night. I doubt the airstone bugs them too much.

You can buy tubing that has an adjuster of how much air goes to the stone. I use them on my tanks and love them.

i notice when my airstone touches the glass is leaves vibrations, so i move a plant as a barrier for the airstone to glass, also if your airrator shares the same stand as the tank, put a sponge or washcloth under it, the vibrations stress out fish over long periods of time, and dwarf frogs hate it

I have my pump on a rug so it's silence. I was more worried about the fish, and the glass itself with vibration all the time.

Back
Top Bottom