airstone needed in planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wright4lfe

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok, i have my planted tank up and running, but the one thing i haven't seen mentioned is the need, or lack there of, for an airstone. can anyone let me know if its needed or not?

current load:

20gl tank
penguin 330 filter
8 plants
2 lyretail velvet swordtails
2 paradise fish
5 Red Tail Mirror Blue Tetras

nope certainly isnt, surface agitation will increase the gasses exchanged at the surface and reduce the amount of co2 in the water obviously co2 is GOOD for plants so the less surface agitation you have the better :)

nowadays airstones are really just for visual purposes, your fish will not suffer if you dont have one, and your plants will be happier :)

chrism said:
nowadays airstones are really just for visual purposes, your fish will not suffer if you dont have one, and your plants will be happier :)

As long as you have proper surface agitation to facilitate gas exchange...yes.

At what size tank should an airstone be used? I heard that once you go into the 30 gallon range and above, or have a tall aquarium, an airstone is necessary.

You never need one per se as long as you have good surface agitation. If you have a deeper tank you just need to make sure you have good vertical circulatin so that air from the top spreads throughout the tank. This can easily be acheived with a ph.

Height doesn't matter, gas exchange occurs at the surface, so a bubbling airstone in the bottom of the tank doesn't add oxygen down there.

The reason certain CO2 diffusers work is due to the way they keep the CO2 bubbles in contact with teh water for considerably longer than airstone bubbles that rush to the surface.

Back
Top Bottom