Airstone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karegg

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, it's a semi-long story (see my post in the welcoming thread), but I've got a single common goldfish in a ~1 gallon bowl. And, unfortunately, that's where he's got to stay 'til we get him a nicer place.

I'm doing about a 35% PWC daily. The fish seems healthy and happy. He eats fine and swims around a lot (despite the lack of room :( ), but the only thing I'm a bit worried about is oxygen supply. Nothing is disturbing the water surface to generate a lot of air exchange.

Would an airstone be a good solution for this problem? How do they work?
Oh, and another side question... despite the fact that the mouth is turned up (which is supposed to indicate a surface feeder, I think), I've heard goldfish dig around in the substrate a lot for food. So would floating or sinking food be better for him?

Ah, a goldie bowl. Many have gotten the bug that way, I am sure. You don't want a goldie to do too much surface feeding. If they ingest too much air, they can get bouyancy issues? I would go with the slowly sinking stuff. And move the goldie to larger accomodations as soon as you can. An airstone can create excellent air exchange if you need it. I guess it depends how big the goldie is, and if it is staying near the surface alot (ie: looking for air).

A small air pump and air stone would be helpful. If your doing daily water changes evaporation shouldn't be any problem. Get a valve that will allow you to adjust the airflow.

Back
Top Bottom