Algae and sediment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JLH-l3ioCub3

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im having problems with large amounts of a light brownish to tan sediment in my tank that just keeps accumulating. I have a 29 biocube and this stuff is everywhere. Its mostly in my sump and overflow/ filter compartment. I use filter material once a week for 2 days alternating with the carbon filter cartridges and it gets caked within 4 hours. My water clarity is pretty good but when I turn off my powerhead and pump to feed the corals and then turn them back on this crap goes everywhere. It gets trapped in the powerhead. I do this atleast twice a week. It takes about an hour to clear up as it gets stuck back in the rocks, fuge, sump and all the cracks and crevises. Is this crap accumulating because I don't have enough bacteria to take care of it? I have a good cleanup crew: 15 blue leg hermits, and 15 snails. I have a very small green hair algae problem as well; just a couple little spots here and there. Any suggestions? Should I try dosing bacteria? Other inhabitants are 2 percula clowns, recently added yellow head jawfish, cleaner shrimp, green BTA and various corals that are all doing great! Corals are growing like a wildfire and all my water tests show good. A little phosphates but I'm thinking my green algae problem may be soaking them up.. Also running a fuge with chaeto and mangrove. I need to get a test kit so I can provide accurate levels.. All I know is what LFS is telling me. Thanks for any help!

you'll have to vacuum that out with each water change. it's not a bacteria issue. it's just a detritus issue. i would vacuum all of those areas where it accumulates, and then wave my hand in the tank to blow off the rocks, then vacuum out more water to complete the change. that stuff will need to be kept to a minimum or you'll be fighting ongoing problems.

Back
Top Bottom