algae blooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildcatcrzy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 47 gallon tall tank with many live plants. My water numbers as far as ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates came in perfect. I ran the lights way too much when I first set up the tank but have cut it back to six hours a day for the bright light and just a small 25 watt when home, just to show it off. The temp is at 80 for my angelfish. I pretty much realize how I got the blooms but how do I get rid of them? I can't do a blackout because of the plants and chemicals are a last resort. I do water changes but it comes right back. I want that really clear water like everyone else has. How do I get it???

Is it the fogginess? That's likely bacteria, not algae. It'll pass on its own in a few hours to a few days. If it is the beginnings of green water, you can still do a blackout. Algae is an opportunistic organism, growing fast and dying faster than plants. Plants can generally live on reserves for weeks. Algae, being many small organisms rather than one large one, can't.

PS, Nice smurf turf.

Put some of the water in a clear glass and set it on some white paper. If the water is green, it's an algae bloom. If it's a white cloudiness, it's bacteria.

A bacteria bloom is often caused by overfeeding. Try cutting the amount of food you're feeding your fish or try feeding every other day and see if the water clarity improves.

An algae bloom is a little more problematic. I've heard of success with a three-day total blackout. The plants can survive that, but the algae doesn't. I waited too long after finding some greenwater and I lost my entire carpet of glosso because I had to cut the lights for so long.

Back
Top Bottom