Algae Breakout!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike2112

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been noticing more and more algae popping up in my 36 gallon over the last couple weeks. I knew I had some Staghorn, but this one im a little stumped on and not so sure what it is. Its growing all over my Cabomba and Water Sprite, the Cabomba has completely stopped in growth due to pretty much being covered in this stuff. Its sort of web looking, dark green/blackish.

Specs:
36 gallon bow front
4x 18w 6500k cfl (timed 8 hours per day)
Dosing API plant food 1x week
I feed fish every day, diet varies
bloodworms 1x week/brine shrimp 1x week/flakes 2x week/shrimp pellet 3x week/peas 1 x week/algae wafer 2x week
Water change once a week, 25-30%
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate usually never goes over 10
Ph 7.0

No Co2 (tried diy, didnt care for it)

i've tried removing it manually, but it seems to grow back faster then I can deal with... any help would be great.

Attachments

• IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0755.jpg
    IMG_0755.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 48
Algae Issue

Hello Mike...

Some algae is a good thing. It means you have a healthy tank. I had a problem with hair or beard algae, which can be a problem in most tanks that haven't been running long. It took a good 6 months for me to get control of it.

I reduced my feedings to 2 times a week and fed mostly frozen food. Phosphates from flaked foods can be the problem, especially if you feed often. Algae thrives in water with high phosphates. At least, that's the word I got.

Large, frequent water changes will help. The water change will remove added nutrients.

I also got some Ramshorn snails from the pet store. These little guys eat most kinds of algae, but don't bother healthy plants. They breed quickly, so you need to be careful how much you feed. I feed just a little, so the snails are no problem.

I also float Anacharis or Brazilian water weed in my tanks. It gives off an antibiotic that discourages the growth of some kinds of algae. It's a real nutrient hog.

Try some of these, and give the tank time to settle the water chemistry if the tank hasn't been running long.

B

Ok ill cut out the flake food, and cut down how often i feed. Do those snails lay eggs? Because i got 2 snails (forgot what kind) but they lay eggs all over my driftwood and i hate the way it looks.
Ill also pck up some sae's, i have otos but they dont really go around te cabomba or water sprite, they keep the swords clean mainly. Thanks for the help

Algae Issue

Ok ill cut out the flake food, and cut down how often i feed. Do those snails lay eggs? Because i got 2 snails (forgot what kind) but they lay eggs all over my driftwood and i hate the way it looks.
Ill also pck up some sae's, i have otos but they dont really go around te cabomba or water sprite, they keep the swords clean mainly. Thanks for the help

Hello again Mike...

The Ramshorn do lay eggs, but the egg cases are very small and transparent, so to me they're barely noticeable. Again, most aquarium fish are small with very small stomachs, so they don't need much food. It's best to keep the fish moving around the tank looking for a leftover and your tank stays cleaner.

Keep the water clean through regular water changes and keep feeding to a minimum. In time, the algae will shrink to a more manageable level, because there won't be any nutrients to sustain it.

B

Back
Top Bottom