Algae build up on internal overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Those with internal overflows: How often do you clean the teeth of the overflow? I think I push a little more flow than recommended through my overflow and I notice that once a week or so I have to clean the teeth to make sure the water is getting skimmed properly through the overflow.

I clean the glass every few days so I think the glass buildup is normal but maybe not?

Just wondering what others experiences are?

Thanks

ya its all normal. What kind of algae are you talking about on the overflow tho? coraline wont really clog stuff up i wouldnt think but maybe...hair algae and stuff like that might tho.

I ain't talking about corraline :) I get a couple of places that grow hair algae but it never really bothered anything. It will clog the overflow teeth though...

This might help you out. I was having algea problems with one of my overflows. After going nuts cleaning the thing I got a piece of black plexi and cut it approximatly the same size as my overflow if not just a little bigger. I then placed it over the overflow to get rid of the majority of light that would shine on it. Cut the problem of algea out of my overflows and it didn't affect the rest of the tank. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom