Algae control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I thought real plants were supposed to decrease algae? My planted tanks are algae covered!

What kind of algae are you referring to? If it's Brown Algae, that's diatoms which is a result of excess silica in your water ... something plants don't help with.

Green algae is usually a result of either excess nutrients and or light ... again something that plants can not help you with. The trick is getting the right amount of nutrients and light so that the plants hog it up and outcompete algae.

Algae Control

I thought real plants were supposed to decrease algae? My planted tanks are algae covered!

Good morning...

Water high in phosphates and nitrates is a perfect environment for primitive plants like algae. I had the same problem a couple of years ago with my heavily planted tanks. The fix for my tanks was Water wisteria and Pennywort. Two very fast growing stem plants. These grow so quickly floated close to the light, that my algae couldn't compete for the available food and shrank to almost nothing in a period of a couple of months.

I started removing and replacing 60 to 70 percent of the water in the tanks every week and that removed most of the phosphates and nitrates in the water and I got some of the small brown snails from the LFS. These little guys are the best algae eaters I've every had.

Today, I have no visible algae in any of my tanks.

B

Yes if the PFS is silica sand ... which it usually is ... that can add silicates to water. Plus .. your tap may also have silicates if it's a groundwater source.

Yes if the PFS is silica sand ... which it usually is ... that can add silicates to water. Plus .. your tap may also have silicates if it's a groundwater source.
So how do I get rid of it? I like the sand. Not the brown algae

Diatoms will "burn" themselves out, usually within a few months given adequate water changes. A few fish and inverts will feed on it, but adding would depend on compatibility, tank space, adding a food source for them possibly when the diatoms are gone, etc.

Diatoms will "burn" themselves out, usually within a few months given adequate water changes. A few fish and inverts will feed on it, but adding would depend on compatibility, tank space, adding a food source for them possibly when the diatoms are gone, etc.
ok thanks! What will eat them out of curiousity? I am a shrimp lover myself so that probably wouldnt be a problem lol

Otos, juvie SAEs, Goodieds (sort of), shrimp (sort of), nerites.... I'm sure I'm missing a few.

ok. Well my bro can get some nerites. He has a 5 gallon with an adf so he is limited.
Can I put otos in my 20t with pfs sand? I was worried the sand irritated them.

Sand won't irritate them. The stock for Otos is a bit suspect though. If you are lucky and get truly healthy ones that live beyond a month or two, they do fine in a 20.

Sand won't irritate them. The stock for Otos is a bit suspect though. If you are lucky and get truly healthy ones that live beyond a month or two, they do fine in a 20.
oh ok. I bought some that died. I had one left who hid with my pygmy cories constantly lol I figured the sand made it too bright or was irritating them because I moved him to my moms tank and he has been active since.

IMO, and based on common convention, you should only add otos to an established tank. If you're in the diatom bloom stage, your tank has not yet established itself.

IMO, and based on common convention, you should only add otos to an established tank. If you're in the diatom bloom stage, your tank has not yet established itself.
The tank is established but the sand is new. I drained the tank (retained filter with small amount of water) and added sand.

So the silica will disappear over time ? I am using pool filter sand and I have also noticed brown growth on the leaves of my java fern and ludwigia. I can scrape it off with my finger and it looks a lot like these diatoms you are describing.

The thing is these started to appear when I put t5 HO lights on my tank which would make it seem more like algae right? I've added pressurized co2 to the equation and I'm hoping this will take care of the problem.

Whatever this brown stuff is its on my plants as I said and also some of my driftwood. There's also even purple colored algae on my driftwood.

Otos were among the first find I added to my tank, I've had them almost since day one. One of my favorite fish, and I have not lost one. I think people loose ottos due to lack of feeding. I feed mine zuchinni about once a week and algae wafers every night. I skip a day or two here and there, but they need to constantly graze. A fat otto with a nice round belly is a happy otto, a skinny otto with a sunken in belly is not good. They are hebivores so they dont really eat leftover flake food. They need pure algae or spirulina wafers.

Any suggestions for a low to medium light tank? I was thinking about getting a t5 fixture but if the stock light works Ill stick with it. Also does medium light need co2?

Back
Top Bottom