Algae Control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have some emerald crabs that eat green hair algae for me fairly well, I've also been told that Lawnmower Blennies and Stripped Dottybacks work too.

I see you have 24 hermits and 6 turbos. They can usually control moderate hair algae outbreaks. What is your nitrate level and how long has the tank been set up? Might want to check for phosphate too.

I hear hairalgae is controlled well be sally light foots. I can't be certain, but I think reefrunner will know. I believe he has one. :) HTH

Scott

Best thing to do is to get to the root of the microalgae growth. It is taking advanatge of nutrients in the water to fuel it's rapid growth. Either reduce the nutrients in the water or grow a more desirable species of algae to compete with it - or both. Getting a few algae eaters is always a good idea but there are other things you can do to mitigate rapid growth of undesirable algae.
Are you overfeeding? Do you have enough LR to control nitrate? Are you using RO/DI water? etc.

If I take steps to control the nutrient levels more than I do at the moment, how will this affect the macro algae (caleurpa) growing in my tang as food for the tang.

It won't affect the macro. I have a pretty clean tank and am still able to grow a nice bush of caulerpa used for nutrient export. Your tank will always have enough nutrients to grow algae - you want it to be macro not micro. Keeping a good growth of macro will slow down the micro but never fully eliminate it. It's all about control.

Back
Top Bottom