algae/diatoms on plastic plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeavisMom62

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there a solution to this? I have a 55 gal goldfish tank with all plastic plants. Yah, I know. I don't like plastic either, but goldies aren't terribly compatible with real plants and I don't have the money to keep replacing plants that they want to eat for dinner! Most of my plastic plants are the kind that look like arachnis (I think) with lots of small, thin "leaves". They are constantly covered with algae or diatoms. Its not green, its brown and very unsightly. Every time I do a pwc, I take the plants out, put them in the old tank water bucket and scrub them with a toothbrush, but there is no way to get all of that off of the plants. I bleach (and rinse, rinse, Prime, rinse) the plants on rare occasions when I can't take it anymore but its a pain. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't think there are any kind of snails or anything that I could put in there that would take care of that, is there? Help!

BeavisMom62 said:
Is there a solution to this? I have a 55 gal goldfish tank with all plastic plants. Yah, I know. I don't like plastic either, but goldies aren't terribly compatible with real plants and I don't have the money to keep replacing plants that they want to eat for dinner! Most of my plastic plants are the kind that look like arachnis (I think) with lots of small, thin "leaves". They are constantly covered with algae or diatoms. Its not green, its brown and very unsightly. Every time I do a pwc, I take the plants out, put them in the old tank water bucket and scrub them with a toothbrush, but there is no way to get all of that off of the plants. I bleach (and rinse, rinse, Prime, rinse) the plants on rare occasions when I can't take it anymore but its a pain. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't think there are any kind of snails or anything that I could put in there that would take care of that, is there? Help!

Hi BeavisMom. There's another thread which should be just above this one where we're having the same discussion. Check that one out and post back here if something's not covered :)

Diatoms or "brown algae" isn't an algea at all, its a form of bacteria that can form in a newly set up tank, specifically with a lot of manufactured plants and decorations. They feed off of the silica that can be present from materials used in making the deco. Generally after the silica residue is gone, so too goes the diatoms. In most cases it takes a month or two for them to completely disappear. They pose no threat to your tank or inhabitants and in fact some fish links Otto's will devour it and help keep it looking less unsightly.

+1 pantherspawn
I agree that if you keep them scraped off of the front of your tank, but leave them on the sides they will tend to starve themselves. Oto catfish or bristlenose plecos will do a number on diatoms if you want them gone quicker.

Back
Top Bottom