Algae During Fishless Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JZS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon tank cycling right now. I had it pretty much done a month ago, so I added two Java Ferns, but then I overdosed the ammonia. I think i killed off a bunch of nitrifying bacteria. Now, i'm cycling again. :banghead:

However, I noticed something different this time around. There are diatoms growing in the side of the tank facing the windows. They are also on the glass and on some parts of the other side of the tank.

There are also long, green threads growing on one of my Java Ferns, and recently, they began to grow on glass. The one Fern the algae is growing on seems to grow much slower than the other one, but that may be just a coincidence. I did some research and I believe that they are hair algae.

What should I do? :ermm:

Thank you! :thanks:

What type of lighting and how long do you leave it on daily? Also can you temporarily tape a piece of cardborad of similar to the side of the tank that is recieving so much light? Do you know your nitrate readings?

Back
Top Bottom