Algae, dying plants and tiny snails--I need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboyfirefly

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I had a brand new 75 gallon tank set up with about $75-80 worth of great new plants, just going through the new cycles and all. Plus It's lit by two 54 watt HO bulbs as well as two 40 watt grow lights--totalling 188 watts overall.

Unfortunately, I had spent a week in the hospital (pneumonia) but the tank and it's inhabitants were taken care of by qualified help. It had nine zebra danios and the lights were kept on for 12 hours a day.

When I got back home, to my horror, I found a green tank, dying and dead plants and about a dozen tiny snails moving about. The tank looks horrible.

I went to my local aquarium store and they tested the water and suggested a dozen more fish to help give the plants nutrients. They didn't suggest a water change, but told me that the tank needs to cycle two more weeks.

We added a dozen hearty tetra. But I am very concerned in the plants and the algae. I want to add many more plants, perhaps three times the amount, but I'm afraid to do anything else until all these problems are solved.

Any suggestions?

I'll add two photos. one of both sides of the now-lousy-looking tank and a close up of one of those pesky snails inavading what once was a very nice plant. (only a week ago).

Thanks so much, I look forward with baited breath to all of you advice...

Fishboy Firefly

Attachments

• snail_dead_leaves_201.jpg
    snail_dead_leaves_201.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 47
  • horrortank_194.jpg
    horrortank_194.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 71
Could you please provide more information about your setup?

Ferts, if any
are you feeding co2?
substrate
filter .......

Your tank needs to cycle for two more weeks, but they want you to add 12 more fish? LOL, I would never go back to that place.

First off, snails are common hitch hickers on plants. You need to inspect them very carefully or only get them from someone who knows they don't have snails.

Secondly, When you have NH3 in the water column and add a lot of lite, you get green water. You should not have put soo many fish is there at one time, but that's old news now.

DO NOT put anymore fish in there. Search the forum for 'greeen water' as there are many posts already about it.

I would also be intrested in the answers to SparKy697's questions and NH3, NO2, and NO3 as well.

i would have gone with a fishless cycle myself...however, old news

once everything stabilizes and cleans up, I'm sure you can find the plants you are looking for here from the members of AA.

The good news is, fish typically love green water. When it finally clears up you may find that fish and plants are doing great. Snails are nothing to worry about.

Hard to tell what plants you have by the pics, but one looks like a java fern. That should be tied to a rock, or some wood...not in the gravel.

That is a new tank, and that appears to be plain coarse gravel. You might consider some root tabs under each of those sword plants. (older gravel would have plenty of "mulm" and probably not need the addition). Also, the swords look to have been grown above the water (emersed). You will find that they will grow completely different leaves underwater. The rest, the crypt's should do fine (root tabs for them too). The leaves may melt, but leave em planted, new leaves will grow back. The cabomba is a nice fast grower, it should help cycle the tank. When it hits the surface. Trim and replant the tops, throw away the bottoms.

lastly, read the stickies from this form, they will help a lot.

BTW, the "hearty tetra" in your second pic looks like a Silver Tipped Tetra (Hasemania nana). A great fish, the males will pair off and display at eachother to impress the females. One of the more colorful and entertaining tetras available.

"Silver Tip Tetras are a typical schooling tetra and should be kept in groups of at least 6. They are one of the more active, aggressive tetras and can have a tendency to nip fins, including other Silver Tips when their numbers are low. "

Back
Top Bottom