Algae eater death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kirbysmom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’m new here and have a question. I lost my Chinese algae eater today out of the blue. He was fine this morning and dead by afternoon. He was over a year old and appeared to be healthy and active. His tank mates are a Cory and some fancy goldfish. Could anyone help me out with why he suddenly died? Thanks!

Thanks for the advise. I have a five gallon glow tank with a Cory cat and 4 fancy goldfish. I tested the water and said it was high ammonia. Also tested straight tap water and bottled . Same results. Bad test strips I’m assuming? We’ve had the tank for several years but only had the goldfish for a about 3 months. Cory cat is fine and the tank is clean so maybe my eater was just old? He grew abnormally large from what I was told he would be. He was almost 5” long! Maybe he ate too much. Still confused. We had glow fish before the golds that were almost 3 years old before they died. We are not in city water, but a well.

Would be worth checking test results for sure just in case. The vial/solution liquid tests are much better.

Although if it is 5 gallon tank with 4 goldfish you will always have high ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom