Algae eater for 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
what would you guy suggest? i dont want one of those pelcos that grow a few feet long.

something that will stay small

Otos are about the only other fish you could get, they are pretty finicky at first and hard to keep alive unless you get healthier ones and have a better established tank. Most are picky eaters as well, and will only eat veggies.

Other than that, shrimp and snails would be good choices if you like those.

oto's, shrimp and (nerite) snails are all good choices for algae. I'd probably learn towards the inverts unless it's a really lightly stocked tank.

Nerites only reproduce in saltwater (maybe brackish). I bought some the other day, and they're really cool, and supposedly the only thing that will eat green spot algae.

yea nerite snails dont reproduce in FW, i would suggest getting some shrimp, they are pretty cool and dont somehow end up outside of your tank =]

otos are great but they are a huge risk since they have a high death rate

yea nerite snails dont reproduce in FW, i would suggest getting some shrimp, they are pretty cool and dont somehow end up outside of your tank =]

otos are great but they are a huge risk since they have a high death rate

i didnt know shrimp eat algae off the glass..... hmmm any kind of specific shrimp? and how many should i get?

i currently have 5 guppies in there (brothers tank)

Amano and cherry shrimp will clean the "reachable" areas of certain kinds of algae. I'm not sure what kinds nerites eat besides gsa, which they're doing a pretty good job (bought 3 on Monday, and they've almost cleaned about 1/8 of a 29 gallon (It was pretty bad)). I'd assume they also eat other kinds of algae that sits on your glass.

I have 3 in my 29 right now, and going by the estimate of their rate of consumption of my gsa, and assuming the gsa has constant growth, I'm thinking I'll want around 6-8 for my 29. That said, once my plants take off, and I finally take the time to balance my nutrients, the gsa (green spot algae) might go away, and I heard that people have trouble feeding their nerites veggies.

I'm probably not the best person to ask for that matter. I think mgamer is the first that comes to mind.

Back
Top Bottom