algae eater starving!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

curtshepard

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have a 28 gallon tank with several tropical community fish, 5 goldfish and an albino plecostomus (sp). The algae eater cleaned up the tank with in the first few days very well so we've been feeding him algae discs but the gold fish keep eating them before he gets a chance. Does anyone know of something that we can feed him that they wont eat or a way to keep them off of it? We already lost one and the pet store lady said that he had probably starved. We really don't want that to happen to this guy.
Thanks for your help

Have you tryed feeding him at night when the lights are off?

Have you tried any zucchini?

we fed the last one at night and he still starved so I'm afraid that's what is happening to this one. we haven't tried the zuccini yet though. how much would we give him and can we leave it in over night without messing up the water

blanch it and clip it in with a veggie clip. It can stay in for 24 hours.

You can try several different veggies too.

whats this veggie clip? maybe you can get a piece of plexi or something to separate the tank until your pleco eats? feeding at night is best

try dropping the algea wafer in an hour oro so once the light sare out, you can even place it on the bottom with your hand to keep them from seeing it floating

i feed mine blanced cucumbers and other veggies and he is thriving it has easilt doubled in lenght in the last month or so

Tropical fish and goldfish do not belong together. Goldfish should be in a tank that allows at least 10 gallons per fish at a small size with a filter that is rated 4x the tank size. Plecos do not belong in with goldfish and common plecos do not belong in such a small tank. I'm afraid to ask what else you have in this bad situation. I suggest fixing you stocking situation before you try any of the above suggestions.

Peel a carrot and drop it in the tank.
A pleco will go nuts on it and chew holes in it.

yum.

I have fantail goldfish and a pleco in the same tank, they have been healthy and happy for years.

Back
Top Bottom