Algae Eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roxy0416

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What type of algae eater should we get?

We currently have a blood parrot, dinosaur bichir, 3 gourami, and 4 danios in our 75 gallon.

Nerite Snails, Amano Shrimp both do a GREAT job of clean up. Bristle Nose Pleco are cute. 6" Stay away from Chinese or Siamese algae eaters - they are belligerent bullies

With a blood parrot, bichir, and gourami I would NOT reccommend snails or shrimp. They will mostly likely be eaten very quickly and easily. I would say a bushy nose Pleco or two would be good. You could get a larger Pleco too if you wanted, you have a lot of room. Also remember that the Pleco won't solve any algae problems, you have to do that with water changes and elbow grease.

I totally forgot Birchir eat snails and shrimp. !!! My bad. But I do love BN pleco's ! I have 3

What type of algae eater should we get?

We currently have a blood parrot, dinosaur bichir, 3 gourami, and 4 danios in our 75 gallon.

Hello Rox...

I keep Ramshorn snails in my planted tanks. The variety I have, do no damage to my healthy plants and if I keep my feeding schedule to just a little a couple of times a week, the number of snails stays very reasonable and come in several colors.

These little guys will make short work of most kinds of algae.

Just one reporter's opinion, however.

B

What kind of algae? I have a Siamese algae eater that eats darn near every kind of algae, except spot algae. He even goes to work on the algae on the glass.

David

Nerite Snails, Amano Shrimp both do a GREAT job of clean up. Bristle Nose Pleco are cute. 6" Stay away from Chinese or Siamese algae eaters - they are belligerent bullies

Siamese algae eaters are actually one of the best algae eater fish available. They are nasty to their own kind or other fish who are close relatives of the species. My Siamese doesn't even take a second look at my other fish, totally friendly.

The Chinese algae eater on the other hand are terrible. Fish stores sell them by the buckets saying their good fish. They wil eventually just kill all your other none aggressive fish.

I would tell you to get amano shrimp and some oto's

Back
Top Bottom