Algae eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonny1999

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 gallon tank with 1 rainbow shark, 1 red wag platy, 3 zebra danios and a live plant. I am looking to get a fish that will eat algae. Is there an algae eater that will get along with the shark and not eat the plant?

Algae Eaters

I have a 30 gallon tank with 1 rainbow shark, 1 red wag platy, 3 zebra danios and a live plant. I am looking to get a fish that will eat algae. Is there an algae eater that will get along with the shark and not eat the plant?

Hello Jon...

Any of the livebearing fish help control algae. Guppies, Mollies, Swordtails and Platys are readily available at most pet stores. I'd include Ramshorn snails too. These little guys are second to none for removing all kinds of algae.

B

My molly eats algae but nowhere near what a nerite snail does! I don't have ramshorns to compare the two for algae eating but I chose the nerites because they don't reproduce in freshwater.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. I will look into getting some snails for my tank.

I would consider rehoming your rainbow shark unless you have a 4 foot tank to put him in later. They get up to 6 inches and will be get aggressive. I would add at least 3 more zebra danios to. But besides that snails would be a good fit another cool fish though that does eat algae would be a Bristlenose Pleco.

I would consider rehoming your rainbow shark unless you have a 4 foot tank to put him in later. They get up to 6 inches and will be get aggressive. I would add at least 3 more zebra danios to. But besides that snails would be a good fit another cool fish though that does eat algae would be a Bristlenose Pleco.

A 4 ft x 15" x 12" is a 30 gallon :whistle:

What type of algae do you have? How long do you run lighting daily? What type of lighting is on the tank? Do you know your nitrate and phosphate levels?

Algae eaters aren't the answer if you have an algae issue. The reason for the algae needs to be addressed and then algae eaters can be used just as a maintenance crew. Something else to consider is that different types of algae eaters eat different types of algae and there is some algae none will eat. So without knowing the type of algae you have suggest different types of algae eaters is a moot point. Posting a picture of the algae would be very helpful as some algae can also be spot treated with liquid carbon or hydrogen peroxide 3%.

Here a pic of the algae. My light runs 12 hours a day and it is just a fluorescent light bulb. Nothing special.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393105917.009893.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393105917.009893.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 106

Will agree with josh, rainbows get a pretty good size and unless you have a 55 gallon or above in your future I suggest rehoming him. They're horribly aggressive in small tanks but in bigger tanks with tons of territory they're fairly relaxed.

SIamensis won't eat this. This is diatoms, it is common in new tanks, I wouldn't care of it for now, it's not huge outbreak, just little slime...

Back
Top Bottom