Algae Eaters For A 10gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only problem i see is that they are best in 6's, which might be pushing if a bit. 3 would suffice in reality though and if you can't put 3 x 1.5 inch fish in a 10 gallon it begs the question of why an aquarium of that size exists. I have 1 in my 40 gallon with various other fish, I did have more but they don't seem to last very well, but i think i got lucky with the one i have left as i've had him for at least a year now. That's why i say they aren't hardy because the vast majority of other fish i keep have been fine.

My favorite algae eaters are nerite snails and amano shrimp and I would highly recommend either for that size tank. But the main thing to address is why you have algae in the first place and what type it is. Often by addressing the key factors involved with algae growth (particularly your daily lighting schedule but also your bulb strength, whether your tank gets any natural sunlight and whether you use any ferts/C02/C02 supplements) you can often eliminate the need for many algae-eating organisms. :)

You say you are having an algae bloom... what kind of algae? You need to address the reason that is causing the algae as algae eaters are only good for small amounts. Also remember that different types of algae eaters eat different types of algae and some types of algae no algae eater will eat! What type of lights do you have and how long do you run them daily? When algae is a problem you need to run your lights only 6 hours a day. Also what is your WC schedule and how much do you change each time? Do you use ferts? Do you use CO2 or liquid carbon? Depending on the type of algae some can be spot treated with Excel or Hydrogen Peroxide 3%. A picture of the algae would help alot.

You say you are having an algae bloom... what kind of algae? You need to address the reason that is causing the algae as algae eaters are only good for small amounts. Also remember that different types of algae eaters eat different types of algae and some types of algae no algae eater will eat! What type of lights do you have and how long do you run them daily? When algae is a problem you need to run your lights only 6 hours a day. Also what is your WC schedule and how much do you change each time? Do you use ferts? Do you use CO2 or liquid carbon? Depending on the type of algae some can be spot treated with Excel or Hydrogen Peroxide 3%. A picture of the algae would help alot.

You can trust this advice. Rivercat's advice cleaned up my tank and its looking great.

It green algae. I have the lights that came with the fish box interpret tank. I leave my lights on 7am-9pm. I do a water change weekly and a gravel clean numerous times. It's a sponge filter with carbon. Heres a picture:

image-1131342289.jpg

Not sure if it's any different to the last one I took

Only run your lights 6 hours until the algae is gone. Then you can slowly increase the amount of time to a max of about 8 hours as long as you don't have a return of algae. Since your running lights 14 hours that is the cause of your algae.

Since you have a small tank a couple nerite snails would be best to keep in your tank. They can lay eggs in your tank but the eggs can't hatch in freshwater so you don't have to worry about ending up with tons of them. They also have a very very low bio-load which is a plus for a small tank.

Any pleco IMO is too large and carries too high a bio-load for a 10g.

A couple Oto's would work but they do best in mature tanks (4-6 months old) and since they are almost all wild caught, often times by using Cyanide to stun them for easy collection, they often are very weak and don't acclimate after purchase.

I've albhino plecos in my 10 gallon. They only grow 3-5 inches.

You most likely have a Bristlenose pleco I keep a Long fin Albino BNP in my 220g. There are a few Pleco's that stay smaller but IMO they still have too high a bio-load for a 10g which already is limited to the amount of fish and bio-load they can safely carry. I'm not saying it can't be done.

Ok so I went to my LFS today and there were no nerite snails so I got some other nice ones which I can't remember the name o but if you want I'll get a pic. It turned out I really like them and I'm thinking about zebra snails!

On algae eaters I got something called a hong kong loach? There really nice and are really similar to bristle nose. Thanks so much you guys for all the advice feel free to give me your thoughts on my purchases.

Back
Top Bottom