Algae Eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suzie83

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

Your help was great for my tank before so looking for advice for my new tank.

My new tank is arriving soon and will be around 470 litres and not making the mistake again of listening to the pet shop I am doing lots of research to the best fish for the aquarium.

However in my small tank just now I have a gold sucking loach and he will be rehoused in the new one when its all ready, I know this is a good while away but understand that as he gets older he won't eat algae really so was wondering if I should purchase other kinds when the time comes. He is a gorgeous looking fish and wonderful to watch so don't want to get another algae eater if it won't suit him.

I have looked at the siamese algae eater and the Oto (as these don't grow to large) and was wondering what your thoughts where, or roughly how many is recommended to be kept together for that size of tank.

Thanks again for your help in the past and hope you can assist again.

Suzie

Hi Suzie,

Otos need to be kept in groups of at least 3. They also require an established tank, at least 6 months or older. Otos are very sensitive and it's not unusual to lose one within the first month or so. They require steady water parameters.

I believe siamese algae eaters are kept singly. I don't have any experience with that species.

Hi Lynda,

Yeah I read that about the oto's but wouldn't be adding them straight away anyway. Just wondered that with the gold sucking loach just now and the size of the tank if it would be best to consider these other types.

Although I wouldn't be adding them to the tank for several months I want to have a clear idea of what fish I will have in the tank when I have put everything in, so i can prepare and decorate the tank suited to the fish. Last time I rushed in and went with pet shop advice. So defo be doing a gradual process this time.

Do you have any idea at ll how many algae eaters should be placed in a 470 litre tank as I can't find anywhere that gives an indication.

thanks

Well, you actually don't "need" any algae eaters. If a tank has algae, it means there's too much light or a number of other reasons. If you address the issue itself, you don't have to get an algae eater. I have an algae eater in every one of my tanks, just because I think they add something interesting to my list of species. That said, I like having some algae in my tanks because I like the natural look it gives to the tank.

So, no, there's no set number you need.

Ah, well that makes sense. Although in my small tank it does have several plants so prob why my gold sucking loach always looks busy. Think I better do more research on Algae first before I consider the need for algae eaters.

But agree with the fact that they add to the tank, I have been brought up with fish tanks from birth until about 20 year old and my most happy memory was a pleco, mum said I called it the gobbler lol so probable the reason i seem to be attracted to the need of these fish. They are wonderfully active which I love.

Thanks for that bit of info there though. Don't want to put algae eaters in if i don't have an algae prob when i get the new tank.

+1 on the bristle nose mine is always all over the tank eating any algae that grows, fun to watch and can have big personalities.

Back
Top Bottom