Algae Eating Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baileystar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been getting a lot of algae on my live plants. Its long and grassy sort of. I I have a Plecko and it hasn't been eating this algae, only the stuff on the glass. Is there a community type fish that would fit the bill?

I have been getting a lot of algae on my live plants. Its long and grassy sort of. I I have a Plecko and it hasn't been eating this algae, only the stuff on the glass. Is there a community type fish that would fit the bill?
Silver Dollars will eat it. The only problem is: when you run out of algae then the plants are fair game. I usually pull soft leaved weeds out of the field next door and shove it in the tank. They devour it like Piranhas. In the winter I order hornwort to bait them away from my rooted plants. I have some sort of grassy plant...Vals or Sags?? anyway they send out rhizomes all over the tank and the Silver Dollars mow it down like a lawnmower. Bottom Line: they LOVE hair algae!

You need to treat the cause rather than the symptom. What lights do you have over what size tank? What do you use for fertilizers and carbon?

If you really want a fish that will eat it then take a look at a true siamese algae eater.

Amano shrimp would be a good option as long as you don't have fish that could eat them.

Algae

Hello bail...

Livebearing fish like Guppies, Platys, Swordtails and Mollies like all kinds of algae. I prefer Ramshorn snails, but they're fast breeders in water with a lot of phosphates in it. Which is a problem for fish keepers who feed a lot of flaked food.

B

Hello bail...

Livebearing fish like Guppies, Platys, Swordtails and Mollies like all kinds of algae. I prefer Ramshorn snails, but they're fast breeders in water with a lot of phosphates in it. Which is a problem for fish keepers who feed a lot of flaked food.

B

None of the fish you mentioned will touch hair algae though.

Back
Top Bottom