Algae eating organisms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freybizzy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon planted tank that has recently had a minor algae breakout. At the moment it isn't too bad - just a thin coat of it over some of the walls, the driftwood, and a few plants - but I'd like to stop it before it spreads any further. Right now I'm deciding between purchasing either snails, Amano shrimp, or some oto catfish. Which one of these would be most effective at eliminating algae from my aquarium? Is there a certain combination of them I should use? Also, are there any species I'm forgetting that could be useful (other than plecos - the one I have has decided to live exclusively off bottom feeder pellets)?

I'm not overstocked but I am approaching my capacity - what's the minimum number of otos I could have for them to be comfortable?

I don't like Oto's that much... They either A. Die off slowely... Or B like mine don't really clean the algae on the walls just some of the plants..

The best thing ever I have found to clean algae is Nerite snails... These things are like algae eating monsters.. Put like 5-10 in all my tanks and all my brown and green algae on my glass and plants was gone in like a week and never came back.. My 2.6 Betta tank had brown algae diatoms all over the place.. I put a single Horned nerite in there and within days my ornaments were bleached white like the day I got them. and my walls were clear.. Now I cant even find a spec of brown algae and my white roman pillar ornaments are still literally bleach white.

I've never had nerites, always wanted them, but I've had good luck with oto's. I'd go for the nerites because I forgot how quickly oto's die off.

I don't like Oto's that much... They either A. Die off slowely... Or B like mine don't really clean the algae on the walls just some of the plants..

The best thing ever I have found to clean algae is Nerite snails... These things are like algae eating monsters.. Put like 5-10 in all my tanks and all my brown and green algae on my glass and plants was gone in like a week and never came back.. My 2.6 Betta tank had brown algae diatoms all over the place.. I put a single Horned nerite in there and within days my ornaments were bleached white like the day I got them. and my walls were clear.. Now I cant even find a spec of brown algae and my white roman pillar ornaments are still literally bleach white.

Do you have any problems with there eggs?....

I have a 55 gallon planted tank that has recently had a minor algae breakout. At the moment it isn't too bad - just a thin coat of it over some of the walls, the driftwood, and a few plants - but I'd like to stop it before it spreads any further. Right now I'm deciding between purchasing either snails, Amano shrimp, or some oto catfish. Which one of these would be most effective at eliminating algae from my aquarium? Is there a certain combination of them I should use? Also, are there any species I'm forgetting that could be useful (other than plecos - the one I have has decided to live exclusively off bottom feeder pellets)?

If I were you, my choice would be Amani shrimp. Otos are great fish and if well acclimated will survive for its entire lifespan but they only eat a specific type of algae which is diatoms.

I wouldn't get ottos haven't had to much luck with them go for the diverse aquarium mix all three together

Only thing about Nerites is they will turn a nice piece of DW into a sesame bun with their eggs. And the eggs are impossible to get off. They do a good job on algae though. OS.

Don't go for otos. They die very quickly. Amano shrimp are good but in my experience they never cleaned the walls very well.
I would also go for nerite snails. They can go everywhere and are great algae eaters. Their eggs don't hatch either so no overpopulation. But their eggs are like super glue....

Don't go for otos. They die very quickly. Amano shrimp are good but in my experience they never cleaned the walls very well.
I would also go for nerite snails. They can go everywhere and are great algae eaters. Their eggs don't hatch either so no overpopulation. But their eggs are like super glue....

Is there a reason ottos die quicky I've had some of mine die within a few weeks

Is there a reason ottos die quicky I've had some of mine die within a few weeks

The reason why Otos have high mortality rate is because they are poisoned so they can be easily caught for transport. So I will always wait for 2 weeks or more when they first arrive at my lfs.

Yeah I heard they are caught using arsenic, seems stupid if you ask me

Yeah I heard they are caught using arsenic, seems stupid if you ask me

Ya it's sad, but most commercial breeders care more for profit than the welfare of their life stock.

Anyways, if you are gonna go for Otos, just acclimate them for longer. I recommend doing the drip acclimation, I've been using this method ever since I had Otos and I've only lost 1 Otos out of 10. :) Google "drip acclimation" if you are interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that the where you put them in the bucket and then drip water from the main tank, cause my cousin does that

Are there any snails that will eat algae and not lay extremely adhesive eggs everywhere? I have a huge piece of driftwood as my centerpiece and I'd hate to see it get jacked up by irremovable snail eggs.

Back
Top Bottom