Algae good or...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SenseiSays

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well LFS said that this is fine since its only a bit over a month old, would like some opinions from you all.. Talking about the green algae

image-3434188649.jpg

Well LFS said that this is fine since its only a bit over a month old, would like some opinions from you all.. Talking about the green algae

View attachment 165443

Diatom algae is normal. But your green algae I'd have to ask some questions.

Fish in or out
If fish in how much are you feeding
Light type and schedule
Water change schedule
Tap water, distilled or RO/DI
have you tested for phosphates

Most common cause for algae is excessive nutrients

I have fish, and feed them every other day with the exception of my yellow tang which is every day with nori. Lights are on for 8 hours a day with t5 bulbs. No phosphates and 5 gallon water changes each week.

Water is literally perfect across the board.

One thing you can do is check your calcium levels. I started having some algae issues due to some unavoidable sun on the tank. When I bumped the calcium up to the higher end of the range coralline algae started outcompeting the nuisance algae. I'm still on an up hill battle, but the coralline is winning out. There are always some nutrients in the water for algae even if you water tests tell you all is good. Adjusting the chemistry can adjust who will get to use them.

I'm surprised your tang doesn't clean it up for you. Maybe you could skip a day on his nori every now and then.

You are simply feeding too much. I feed my reef tank twice a week and my fish are all fat. Cut back some. It will take a long time to get rid of the algae, I'm still battling mine but am definitely winning.

You might also want to see if Minitron's suggestion will help, just take out the nori and see if it will pound out the algae, and keep in mind that the nori being in the tank for long periods of time will also see it decay, cause phosphates/nitrates and algae growth.

There are exceptions, but most fish don't need to be fed every day. A lot of them probably shouldn't be fed every day. If you have a healthy ecosystem of live rock and various 'pods in your tank a lot of your fish's food will actually come from right inside the tank. Making it easier to keep things in balance.

Back
Top Bottom