Algae growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dooboedoo12

Aquarium Advice Freak
3 weeks into my cycle and almost done. I added seachem flourish tabs yesterday and potassium today for my plants but now I'm noticing that I'm getting signs of an algae bloom. My tank is begging to have a green glow. What should I do or do I just let it play it's course as my tank is being set up

I have a dual lighting one lamp is 10k and one is 6.5k, it's a 90 gal tank, I run the light 8 hours a day

I run my 30 gal the same and no algae but that has no live plants and no seachem additives

3 weeks into my cycle and almost done. I added seachem flourish tabs yesterday and potassium today for my plants but now I'm noticing that I'm getting signs of an algae bloom. My tank is begging to have a green glow. What should I do or do I just let it play it's course as my tank is being set up

I may be very far from correct but i think i read that algae feeds off potassium. Maybe your potassium levels are high? Just a thought

I'm following the directions exactly on the potassium bottle but your right they do. I might have to dial down on the amount suggested

I'm following the directions exactly on the potassium bottle but your right they do. I might have to dial down on the amount suggested

From my understanding a plant needs the correct levels of light, ferts and carbon source in order to grow to its full. Is it possible that your balance is off, which is causing the plants not to grow to their potential, meaning they are using ferts at a slower rate?? Then as you redose the potassium levels are increasing. I dont know just thoughts again. My theory gets blown out of the water if your doing water changes though

A newer tank just getting through its cycle is a touchy time with algae. Two things you could try to keep the "devil" at bay is shorten your light period to six hours. Second may be from low carbon source. A condition algae loves with long lighting periods. Even with using pressurized CO2, I have found that continuing to dose some glut (Excel or Metricide 14) liquid carbon helps control algae as well as give some carbon for the plants to use.
Lucky indeed is the person who starts a new tank and does not have algae problems. I know mine sure did. If you want to use liquid ferts, look to get the full Seachem types so you'll have the macros(N, K, & P) and the micros(Flourish). Look at dry ferts like Green Leaf Aquararium's PPS-Pro or EI. Much cheaper, especially when dosing large tanks. If algae continues, take some pictures and post and we all will try and help you more specifically. Good luck and welcome to the planted side. OS.

Back
Top Bottom