Algae growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jay917

Aquarium Advice Regular
I wanted to grow the purplish and blueish algae on the live rocks. Right now i have base rocks but i am planning on buying some live rocks soon. Do i need a speical light shinning on it all day to simulate the day light or is that just for a reef tank? Do i need a protein skilmmer inorder for the algae to grow successfully? Also how long does it take for the algae to grow and inverts to start to develop?

I have a PC light 40 watt with a 50/50 bulb on it. I also have two NO bulbs one a 6500k bulb and the other a powerglo bulb. My tank has been going now for about a month and a half and I have the coraline algae growing now. You don't need a skimmer for the algae. You can introduce the algae through scrapings from others or find a piece of rock from your lfs that has coraline on it and drop it in your tank... Then just wait.... :D

Do a search on the site for coraline algae and you will find tons of threads on this subject.
In an established tank when you add the LR make sure it is cured first or you may get a cycle if there is any die off on the LR.
What kind of lighting do you have? No special lighting is needed but it seems to grow faster under moderate to low lighting.
What size tank? protein skimmer are great at helping keep the tank water clean and are recomended on all set ups. But tanks can run with out them as long as you do regular water changes.

I have a 40 gallon and planing on buying a 192 watt power compact light. Do i need to run the light all day?

I use the 192 watt PC coralife fixture on a 33 gallon. It runs 11 hours a day and is a great light!! The coraline algae will start to grow in the dark areas first (at least it does in my tank) as this is quite intense light. If you don't have other things that need the light, the coraline algae will grow fastest if you use half the bulbs or a shorter cycle and it tends to do best in lower light areas...

Hope that helps.!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom