Algae!! Help!! ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishythefish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can anyone help identify what type of algae this is and how I can combat it?

I have the lights on a timer for 10 hours a day and dose the aquarium with Easy Green from Aquarium Co-Op.

I am also a little confused on what to do...in a 5 gallon nano tank I had driftwood that was causing the plants to become “dirty” just like the ones in the pictures I provided.

I have since removed the driftwood in the nano tank and the plants are no longer “dirty”

I think I am going to make this change on my main tank and switch to dragon stone. (The pics attached are from the main tank which have algae/dirty leaves)

IMG_9261.jpgIMG_9262.jpgIMG_9263.jpgIMG_9266.jpg

This thread is a bit of help information for the fuzzy stuff.

I just offered some ideas here

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/brown-algae-in-5-gallon-tank-374180.html#post3548340

This is the same information quoted from there to here, so your answers can stay in this thread.
You might try a piece of window screen to cut out some of the light from the fixture or plastic needle point canvas. This blocks a large percent of the light.

Also how often are you doing water changes, and how much?

I would probably increase the frequency and amount to 2 times per week and 30-40%.

Another thing is Purigen or Phosguard pouch which can bind op some of the organics and phosphate.

What kind of food are you using? Some flake foods seem to have a bit of phosphates.

You can remove the tank items and use a extra soft bristle tooth brush (dollar at the dollar store) and / or a Mr. clean sponge (also 1 for $1.00) pre-moistened and a 50 /50 amount of 3% Hydrogen peroxide like found at the grocery store pharmacy, and water.

Be gentle and wipe or softly brush the leaves. You might want to remove the very bad ones.

Then I would do a quick rinse in tap water to get the sludge off and then drip a little peroxide onto the leaves and wait a minute and rinse off.

If the item is a decoration plastic, ceramic or resin you can put the peroxide on and brush it at full strength. To be safe of coloration on the decor, do a small test spot in the back of it.

I think the light is a big part of the issue. Does it have 4 numbers with a K after it anywhere on the bulb? ie. 2700K

Light is often a huge culprit. I would try cutting it in half for the amount of time you have it on.

The thick blackish stuff on the Anubias, is it slimy?

Does it slide right off more or less when you wipe if off with your fingers, or is it really stuck on there hard, like you'd have to scrape it with a fingernail to get it off?

Back
Top Bottom