Algae help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mishkon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I started noticing algae growing on my anubis and I'm not sure what type it is or how to get ride of it.?So any help would be very kind.

Attachments

• 20211120_090712.jpg
    20211120_090712.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 35
I can’t see much if any algae on that anubias, it looks to be in great condition. Eventually green algae will form on the leaves. My advice is to put some bristlenose plecos in there which thrive on algae and will do a great job in keeping your tank clean including anubias plants.

I can’t see much if any algae on that anubias, it looks to be in great condition. Eventually green algae will form on the leaves. My advice is to put some bristlenose plecos in there which thrive on algae and will do a great job in keeping your tank clean including anubias plants.

I thought it looked like hair or black algae. I appreciate the advice. I'm new to fish keeping here and I'm just trying to learn and don't want my tank to fail. A bristlenose plaque is probly out. My tank is pretty stocked.

20g high, top fin power 20 filter
8 harlequin rasboras
6 pygmy cory
1 dwarf gourami
2 amano shrimp

Welcome to the hobby and happy to help you out with advice. All you need is a couple of small plecos no larger than a couple of inches no matter how well stocked your tank is. They don’t swim around like normal fish do so don’t need too much room to move in. Then when they grow into adults you can move them on and replace them with other juvies.

Please dont buy fish you have no intension of keeping or caring for for their entire life. If you buy plecos with the intension of moving them on when they get too big for your tank those plecos will likely never get cared for properly and suffer for it.

Plecos are very messy and will have a huge impact on your bioload. If you feel you are fully stocked no need to make the situation worse.

If you want to get a pleco, that's fine. Just make sure you keep it in a suitable environment and meet its needs as you would any other fish you bought.

You dont have an algae issue anyway. If you did you would be better controlling algae growth through adjusting your lighting down rather than getting something to eat the algae.

Please dont buy fish you have no intension of keeping or caring for for their entire life. If you buy plecos with the intension of moving them on when they get too big for your tank those plecos will likely never get cared for properly and suffer for it.

Plecos are very messy and will have a huge impact on your bioload. If you feel you are fully stocked no need to make the situation worse.

If you want to get a pleco, that's fine. Just make sure you keep it in a suitable environment and meet its needs as you would any other fish you bought.

You dont have an algae issue anyway. If you did you would be better controlling algae growth through adjusting your lighting down rather than getting something to eat the algae.

Thank you for the tip. If I did get a pleco I would want to keep it. So maybe thats an excuse to get another tank or maybe a bigger tank. Lol. I'm just trying to be proactive if it was algae. So best thing would be to turn lights on less? Right now I have the lights on a 8 hour timer, and feeding seachem Flourish once a week. I was doing Flourish twice a week to try and get the java fern and anubias to growing faster but it did not seem to help.

Unless there is something you arent showing you don't have an algae problem. You will likely always have some algae, its not really a problem unless it gets out of hand.

6 to 8 hours is a normal lighting period for growth of plants and controlling algae to a managable level. I say leave it be, look to adjust things if you have a problem.

Why are you looking for more rapid growth in your plants?

Unless there is something you arent showing you don't have an algae problem. You will likely always have some algae, its not really a problem unless it gets out of hand.

6 to 8 hours is a normal lighting period for growth of plants and controlling algae to a managable level. I say leave it be, look to adjust things if you have a problem.

Why are you looking for more rapid growth in your plants?

I was just looking to fill in the tank to be more planted. Only bought 2 java fern and 2 anubias Nana. In the middle of the tank. Other side of the tank has 2 crypts, and then some italian val on the other. The val is growing like crazy and I love it. Maybe I'm just a little impatient. Lol never knew about plants in tanks and its exciting watching everything grow.

Attachments

• 20211121_091538.jpg
    20211121_091538.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 35
I know it’s hard to tell sometimes by looking at photos, but I can’t see any algae in there whatsoever! I would reduce lighting by an hour or two if it gets out of control though. Your Seachem liquid dosing should keep the plants happy and those plants don’t need intense light. Tank looks great though! I love the collie of the sand.

I know it’s hard to tell sometimes by looking at photos, but I can’t see any algae in there whatsoever! I would reduce lighting by an hour or two if it gets out of control though. Your Seachem liquid dosing should keep the plants happy and those plants don’t need intense light. Tank looks great though! I love the collie of the sand.

Thanks I was not sure the way the sand turned out. Thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom