Algae in Malawi Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am a real fan of brisltenose plecos. I have one in both if my african tanks. They are amazing algae eaters.

I picked up a Synodontis Eupterus (aka Featherfin Squeaker) today. I'm not sure if they eat algae but they are pretty cool. I hope it can hang with my Mbuna. A couple of Labs have "tasted" it already.

Labenator65000 said:
I picked up a Synodontis Eupterus (aka Featherfin Squeaker) today. I'm not sure if they eat algae but they are pretty cool. I hope it can hang with my Mbuna. A couple of Labs have "tasted" it already.

They don't, they are pretty shy unless they are in a group.

Mogurako said:
They don't, they are pretty shy unless they are in a group.

Are they ok with Mbuna? How many would you consider a group? I read they are aggressive with each other. Not so?

Labenator65000 said:
Are they ok with Mbuna? How many would you consider a group? I read they are aggressive with each other. Not so?

I'm does great in my mbuna tank, and he's the only one in there. It's perfect cuz the fish can't push him around cuz he'll push back! lol

My LFS told me the mts snails are the best for algae. They have them in all their cichlid tanks and they never have to scrape the glass, the snails take care of it. They recommend 1 snail to every 10 gallons.

CraigMac said:
My LFS told me the mts snails are the best for algae. They have them in all their cichlid tanks and they never have to scrape the glass, the snails take care of it. They recommend 1 snail to every 10 gallons.

My fish eat em.

That's what I was worried about. I bought 2 snails to start and it's bee a few weeks and they are still good. Hoping the continue to be left alone!

Labenator65000 said:

I've kept them with Mbuna, Haps and peacocks over the years with no problems. I've never had any agression issues, I'd consider a group of at least 5.

MTS are a good option, my Haps eat them but when I've kept them with Mbuna they left them alone.

My peacock n syno. The cat annoys my Peacock for some reason lol, he is grumpy :) everyone else gets along famously ;)

Attachments

• attachment-20.jpeg
    attachment-20.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 90
Mogurako said:
I've kept them with Mbuna, Haps and peacocks over the years with no problems. I've never had any agression issues, I'd consider a group of at least 5.

I'm not sure I can do 5 or I'd likely have too much bio-load for my 55. Do you think if I got two more that they would get along? I have read that they are aggressive with other Synos.

As well, can the group consist of other similar Synos such as Syno.Petricola or Syno.Nigriventris, or should they be of the same species?

I would go with a smaller type of Synodontis then if you only have a 55 to work with. In my experience it's best to stick with one species of cat per tank.

Back
Top Bottom