Algae in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cameron6796

Aquarium Advice Regular
The title pretty much says it all i have Grey flowing algae in my tank clinging to the wood thats the only place where its found

Attachments

• image-1426715218.jpg
    image-1426715218.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 59
  • image-1039494800.jpg
    image-1039494800.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 62
How long have you had the wood?

I know this tends to happen on newly added wood and goes away with manual removal, clean water, and decent flow.

It is fungus. It's not uncommon for it to appear on DW. You can give it a spot treatment of Excel or Hydrogen Peroxide which often times kills it off. You can take a needless syringe, pull up 2-3ml of Excel or Peroxide per 10 gallons of tank water, put the syringe close to the fungus and squirt it slowly. If you use Peroxide you need to turn your filter and lights off for 15-20 minutes during treatment.

Forgot to add... don't use Excel if you have any Vals or anacharis in your tank as they are very sensitive to liquid carbons and can melt.

If used in the correct dosage it's perfectly safe in an aquarium. It has become my algacide.

Use 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, what most people have in their medicine cabinet. For a 6 gallon tank you can only use 3ml tops of peroxide once a day. It's not much in a tank that small.

Back
Top Bottom