Algae just on plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They prefer different conditions. You can keep them in other conditions, sure, but it's not optimal.

They only eat hair algaes and some other green algaes. They dont eat algae types that are difficult to remedy (bba), and the algae they do eat many other fish will also eat. My platies do the same thing.

Most algae problems are caused by us. You're almost always better off figuring out how to fix your problem yourself, and becoming a better aquarist in the process, than expecting fish to do it for you and learning nothing.

Cool, that's neat yours eat your hair algae. I was just seeing pictures of them and recommended them to a friend. My pH is 8.1, and I think the LFS said water here is typically a little higher, although when I test it out of the tap it's 7.0 or so. It's been a while since I've tested the tap. Our hardiness (KH) is quite high, about 20 degrees (350 ppm?). Anyway, yes, I do have driftwood in my tank and know that can cause leeching, but at one point when I was running carbon the water got quite clear, but when I changed it out it became yellow again. I ran my filters, two AC 70s, without carbon, then with and it cleared up a lot, but then became yellow again. So this past week I've removed it to see if it affects plant growth because I've been reading that the carbon will remove nutrients that plants would otherwise be absorbing.

Thanks for the tip on Sailfin Mollies, I will read up on that. They would look good with my few Platies I've got left. I went to my LFS today and I asked if they had SAEs and was told it was also called Flying Fox, which I know is different but looks similar. But the shop told me that Flying Fox is very sporadic in which will eat algae or not. But if I come across SAEs I will definitely consider them. I'll also read up on Amano Shrimp, I think that would be a nice addition.

I just did 25% pwc and dosed with flourish excel, so I'll see how it goes. I'll keep dosing a little extra so see if that works. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a problem caused by low carbon.

Be careful with SAE. Be 100% confident that you know how to tell them apart from chinese algae eaters, flying foxes, and false flying foxes. Only the SAE are good algae eaters. Research research research...

I'm getting an albino longfin bristlenose pleco for my tank. I know a guy that has some blue eyed ones that I might be able to get in on.

GEOlson said:
I just did 25% pwc and dosed with flourish excel, so I'll see how it goes. I'll keep dosing a little extra so see if that works. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a problem caused by low carbon.

Might also be best to remove the bba infested leaved too.

Usually I remove the leaves they're dead. My water onion is hanging on by a thread because I snipped the leaves that were really bad and it didn't take well to that at all. My pleco is a bushynose, but I think it sticks to the driftwood, at least that's where I see it when the lights are on. Otherwise it's in the rocks, and it's usually always suctioning upside-down.

Ah :( I've got that on my plants too :( as well as hair algae :/ if I was to throw away all the plants with bba on them, and increase co2, do you think that that might solve the problem?

It's recommended just to take off the leaves that are the worst, but this has left some of my plants hanging on by a thread. I bought 4 "Algae Shrimp" yesterday. I think that means Amano or Japanese Algae Eating Shrimp. I'll observe them over the next few days and give an update on if they're working or not.

Ah :( I've got that on my plants too :( as well as hair algae :/ if I was to throw away all the plants with bba on them, and increase co2, do you think that that might solve the problem?

That would be the way to start. BBA usually means not enough CO2. I would also double check your fets regimen. Reducing light is also an option.

But yea, purge the leaves with it already on them. You're doing them a kindness.

Back
Top Bottom