Algae on Beta Fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lwhite281

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a male beta in a 2.5 gallon tank. The only thing in it is a heater. he seems very happy in the tank. He creates bubble nests that that cover the whole tank at the top.
I noticed about 4 days ago that he had this bright green on the tips of his fins. I realized it was algae from one of the plants in the tank. That plant looked like it wasn't going to last much longer so I took it out. There is only one other plant in the tank and it it's never given off algae the way the other did. I did a partial water change when I took the plant out and the algae came off of his fins and appeared to be going away. I came into work this morning (where I keep my beta) and he has the green algae on his fins again. I have no idea what the cause of this is. I took the plant out that was initially causing the problem.
Do I need to do more than a 20% water change on his tank to get rid of it? Does anyone have any ideas of how I can keep this algae from attaching itself to my beta?
The picture isn't very clear, but if you look close enough you can see the green algae I am referring to.

Attachments

• picture_049-2_151.jpg
    picture_049-2_151.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 215
The plant wouldn't give off algae, algae forms on the plants. Don't know if it is algae on your betta, I would doubt it. But you should be doing at least 50% pwc on that size tank twice a week IMO.

I came in this morning and he doesn't have the green stuff on all of his fins like he did yesterday. He has it on one fin only. So I guess the stuff is falling off. It doesn't seem to bother him. He still has a huge bubble nest going at the top.
Thanks for your advice. I'll start doing 50% water changes twice a week.

I had a similar situation once - I thought my betta had green algae on his fin tips. I did have a lot of algae in the tank at the time. He may have rubbed across the algae with his tail. This was in a hex tank that I found hard to clean well. For your situation, I agree with Zagz that a 50%, twice-a-week water change schedule would be best.

Back
Top Bottom