Algae...on my glass hood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just notice today, My 29gal has algae growing.. on the inside of the glass hood.

Has anyone ever heard of this? It seems quite bizzar.. since I keep a low level for my tank because of all the snails, it just seems very odd to see algae growing there.. and its abundant to, and I don't have algae anywhere else in my tank except for a few small areas of spot algae. [ We're talkng just a few inchehs across, and its barely noticable its so thin ]

i would hazard a guess that if there is moisture on the glass and the temp is right, that may be why there is algae. I remember that when I had my 1gal(i know that's bad) that I used to get algae growth on the plastic cover that came with it. The cover did not touch the water!

I could understand your point, Keeper, if it was splashing water or something.

But its not.. So where is the algae getting its nutrients from? This part here is what boggles my mind.

It most certainly does. The humidity is drawing its source from the water in your tank. As it comes to condensate on the glass, it carries with it the properties of your water in your tank. If you have a light right over this glass, it then stimulates the growth of the algae. I get this all the time in my live plant tank especially, because I put the liquid fertilizers in there for my plants.

As it comes to condensate on the glass, it carries with it the properties of your water in your tank.
Plus if it's green algae gets it's nutrients from the sun (light).
If it's brown algae, then my theory is shot.

I think I may hang the hood in a museum.

It has a beautiful array of colors now.

It has Brown, Gold, Green, Neon Green, Blue, I think I even see purple 8O

I had this happen when I actually had weaker lights on my hood. It was from hard water or calcium deposists which then harbored the algaes, way hard to get rid of. But after scraping off all the old stuff and more powerful lights it actually went away..kinda wierd

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom