Algae on plant leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fanflv

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How much algae is ok on plant leaves
Some or none?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

In theory you want none. Some on a few of the leaves is ok but none is best.

I mean there's no one answer to this you just want to limit it as much as possible. It impedes plant growth and often kills leaves.

Algae

How much algae is ok on plant leaves
Some or none?

Hello Fan...

I have some on my floating plants. A little is a sign of a healthy tank. Water changes performed regularly will remove some nutrients as will reducing the flaked foods you feed the fish. This will help reduce the rate that algae grows.

You can remove algae by hand with a soft bristled toothbrush, but this is a lot of work to me.

Floating plants like Hornwort will take away some of the nutrients in the water that algae normally uses.

I just try to keep the tank water as clean as possible and the algae doesn't grow too much.

B

99% of people aim to have no algae but this is incredibly difficult to achieve.

Algae is often caused by an imbalance between lighting, co2 and nutrients. The more algae you have the greater the imbalance in your tank and vice versa.

I do not agree that limiting nutrients is a form of algae prevention. Plants need nutrients to grow, if they dont get the necessary nutrients then they will not grow to their full potential and cannot out compete the algae.

I do agree with regular water changes.

Floating plants can be useful but bare in mind they will shade the plants below them

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree about not limiting nutrients, for the most part. Thats the foundation of EI dosing and many people have wonderful algae free tanks and dose EI under a high light setup.

This is what it looks like

I run pressure co2
My co2 level is 40
My light out put is strip LED And 18W fluorescent
I have 0 phosphate
Ph is 7

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom