Algae on sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liljosh609

Aquarium Advice Activist
I setup my nano reef a couple of weeks ago, and I currently run 2 6watt t5's. its a 2.5 gallon tank, and the sand is covered in redish-brown algae. The lights were running 10 hrs. a day, and because of this, I moved them back to 8 hrs. a day. What else could be an issue? How many hours a day should I have the lights on? Thanks

Has your tank finished cycling....? This sound like cyano bacteria to me.... What are your water parameters? And do you have any livestock in your tank yet?

Without a picture it sounds like it could be diatoms also. Especially since its a newly set up tank, a diatom bloom is common.

This may help you identify since you'll be looking right at it. It also gives information on the causes and what to do about it.

Nuisance Algae ID Guide

I think it's near the end of cycling. I have only a snail in the tank, and it appears to be diatoms. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• image-3184736314.jpg
    image-3184736314.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 101
I think it's near the end of cycling. I have only a snail in the tank, and it appears to be diatoms. What do you guys think?

I can't honestly say for sure, a picture closer up would help me. I haven't seen cyano in person, just what I've seen online, and its usually progressed. I'm not sure what cyano would look like starting out.

I woud guess diatoms though, is it rust colored?

My diatom bloom showed up just after cycling and still hasn't quite disappeared. Thankfully its just mostly on my rocks.

If it is diatoms it'll disappear after it uses up the silicates in the tank so long as more silicates aren't being added through way of water source/etc. It won't hurt to keep it wiped of glass (if it appears there) and even siphoning out when it comes time for a water change. I just wouldn't worry yourself over it as it'll run its course basically.

The course of action and cause of cyano is different though, if it turns out to be cyano or cyano shows up at some point later on.

Here is a better pic

Attachments

• image-1595881419.jpg
    image-1595881419.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 104
Looks like diatoms.... It should clear up in time.

How long has your tank been cycling for?

How much of liverock have you got in there and how many gallons is your tank?

For the most part, but I think some might be on the rocks as well. None of it is on the glass.

Ok. Thanks, well that's good! I also have a snail who's loving them!

Back
Top Bottom