algae on substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clint3240

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i am getting a carpet looking algae with a red ish brown color, it is taking over my sand bed. any ideas?

40 gallons
over 1000gph
backpack skimmer
4 inches sand
50 lbs rock
190W light on 10 hours
few haermit crabs and snails, 3 shrip, 2 clownfish, birttle star

nitrate - 0
ph - 7.8
ammonia- 0
salinity - 1.027
temp - 78
alkalinty - 2.8 milli equilavent per liter
mag - 1200
calc - 500

i know my ph is low, for some reason i can not raise it. are these diatoms? i was thinking about getting some macro algae and a in take refugium. i was using tap water and was told not to unless treated, so i started buying the water. i will be getting an r/o.

Attachments

• tank 003.jpg
    tank 003.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
That's diatoms, so please cut your hours from 10 to probably like 6-7hours per day... the longer the hours, it's blooming faster and your snails can't clean it faster than it blooms.

Wait... purplish, sorry I misread... I might not be right... experts chime in please...sorry....

i was thinking about cutting the light for 2 days and then shortening the time it is on. i added a picture in my first post to help. i guess you could say its a little more red-brown than purple..my mistake, i changed it above

Diatoms are nothing to worry about, they will burn themselves out. They thrive off of silicates and light.
I would be more worred about the cyano (red) that looks like it might be taking a hold.

it grows so fast that if i remove a dense part of it, it grows back just as thick in a few hours

i have a ro/di in the mail as we speak

Additional PWCs, less light, more water flow to those areas, less feeding.
I feed every 2 days and sometimes every third day.

I'm fairly new to saltwater and I was pretty much farming the stuff. I got some red leg hermits and some astrea snails - they're mowing through the stuff like it's candy.

Back
Top Bottom