algae overgrowing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harlow

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good ol country town outskirts of Auburn IN
I've got this 20 gallon tank with a fluval canister filter. I can't think of the model number, but its rated for a 50 gallon. It does a superb job of keeping water crystal clear. it is by far my best looking tank as far as that goes. However, it gets a wicked thick layer of algae growth all over it lately. the water will still be very clear, but the algae doesn't stop coming. I'm on well water, and am always fighting high ph, and hard-ish water which I combat with ph decreaser and aquarium salt and water conditioner. but nothing works long term and nothing seems to stop this blasted algae. as far as fish, it has a couple of rainbowfish, a pair of kribensis, and 2 loaches and a gourami.

I will clean this tank, and it will be spiffy neat, and in 2 days time the algae will return. I recently had a tank that was completely taken over by algae bloom and turned my water completely solid green and killed nearly everything living in it. I know my water quality out of the ground is basically crap, but I don't have any other realistic options for water like getting RO water or purified water somewhere, that just isn't feasible. so what are some long term methods i can try to get this taken care of? live plants? snails and such? anything like that? I read somewhere that snails are sold as "cleaner packs" would that benefit me in this situation? any info would be great. thanks.

How long lights on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That'd be the problem.. 7 hrs max

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What type of algae is it?

I agree with the big B.
Start with the light cycle, add a segment timer to automate the system.
If that doesn't fix things (wait a week)
It's nitrates or phosphates.

These are easy to fix if your water has no nitrates or phosphates, simple water changes are all that's needed.

Knowing the type of algae present will give you a better chance to solve the problem.

The salt could be adding to your hardness.
If your pH buffer is phosphate based that could be the main cause of your algae.

Back
Top Bottom