Algae Problem in High Tech Tank, Help!!!! (RO/DI, Ferts, CO2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Turn off your filters, pull up 1 to 3ml of hp 3% for every 1 gallon of water in a syringe. Hold syringe right up to algae and slowly squirt. Leave filter off 20 minutes. Usually within 24 hours you will see the algae changing color and starting to die off. Hair algae just tends to disintegrate. If you have a lot of treat you'll have to do an area a day.

Turn off your filters, pull up 1 to 3ml of hp 3% for every 1 gallon of water in a syringe. Hold syringe right up to algae and slowly squirt. Leave filter off 20 minutes. Usually within 24 hours you will see the algae changing color and starting to die off. Hair algae just tends to disintegrate. If you have a lot of treat you'll have to do an area a day.

Thanks Rivercats! So even if Im spot treating I need to use 30 ml-90 ml for a 30 gallon a day? haha it seems like a lot, will it risk any of my fauna/flora? (Fauna: Pleco, Guppies, Platy. Flora: Vallisneria, Cabomba, Glossostigma, Microsword, Dwarf Baby Tears). Haha just let me know if you see any plants or fish that might be affected.

Thanks!:thanks:

You don't have any delicate shrimp so you should be fine.

If I use 1-2 ml per gallon in my shrimp tank (yellow neon shrimp, 4 crystal red shrimp, 4 red cherry shrimp), how much of a risk am I taking? Will they die?

If I do it anyway, what should I do to make sure nothing bad happens?

Thanks!:)

If I use 1-2 ml per gallon in my shrimp tank (yellow neon shrimp, 4 crystal red shrimp, 4 red cherry shrimp), how much of a risk am I taking? Will they die?

If I do it anyway, what should I do to make sure nothing bad happens?

Thanks!:)

If in doubt I'd use maybe 1/2ml per gallon or even less and treat a tiny area. There is nothing you can do to ensure nothing happens. So I'd weigh my options before doing it. Also be sure not to directly hit the shrimp directly with any of the peroxide.

If in doubt I'd use maybe 1/2ml per gallon or even less and treat a tiny area. There is nothing you can do to ensure nothing happens. So I'd weigh my options before doing it. Also be sure not to directly hit the shrimp directly with any of the peroxide.

Alright, I already used 1 ml a gallon, ill do a water change to be safe. The shrimp look fine though and i made sure not to hit any directly, although is it bad if they walk through the bubbles? they are grazing on algae around the bubbles.

H2O2 breaks down pretty rapidly in an aquarium, so it's only really in the tank for 20 minutes or so. This is in contrast to something like Excel or nitrates that will remain in the tank until taken up by something. In that regard, H2O2 is actually pretty safe to dose in a tank as long as nothing gets a dose in the face.

That being said, if you've got a sensitive species of shrimp in the tank (eg high grade CRS), you might want to be more conservative, but in general it's pretty safe stuff.

H2O2 breaks down pretty rapidly in an aquarium, so it's only really in the tank for 20 minutes or so. This is in contrast to something like Excel or nitrates that will remain in the tank until taken up by something. In that regard, H2O2 is actually pretty safe to dose in a tank as long as nothing gets a dose in the face.

That being said, if you've got a sensitive species of shrimp in the tank (eg high grade CRS), you might want to be more conservative, but in general it's pretty safe stuff.

Thanks! So why does the algae bubble when its hit by the H2O2? What about the H2O2 causes it to die?

Yeah, I have pretty high lights/flow and combined with filtration, the H2O2 should break down quite fast after i turn everything back on. I was careful to make sure I didn't hit any of the fish or shrimp too, but is it bad if they came up to the bubbles? My CRS is about S grade but they look like they are doing fine.
:thanks:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom