Algae Problem, Please Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chuck34

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can someone tell me what kind of algae this is and how to remove it?

I've had it for a few months. If i rub the leaves with my fingers i can rub some of it off, but most of it stays.

I have only been feeding very lightly 2 times per day. I normally change 20% of the water 2 times per week. The last 3 weeks I have increased to 2 35% water changes per week. I gravel wash 1 time every 1 to 2 weeks. My local fish store says our water supply is not high in phosphates but i have not tested it myself. I had been running the lighting 11 hours per day but 2 days ago decreased to 6 hours per day. There is no direct sunlight exposure. The fish are all healthy and none have been newly introduced.

My tank is 29 gallons. Lighting is dual tube Coralife normal output T5 (1 6700 bulb, 1 colormax). Filtration is an Emperor 400 which is properly maintained. The plants effected are Amazon Swords. I did have some Water Spright (I think that is what they were called) but they also where covered in this stuff and did not make it. I had the same algae before I put the plants in, but I was able to scrub those surfaces hard enough to keep things in check. I also have several Otos and 1 Siamese Algae eater to help.

My local fish store says to tear down the whole tank and bleach everything. I really would hate to start over like that.

Please help!

Attachments

• image-703127417.jpg
    image-703127417.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 62
  • image-1432749339.jpg
    image-1432749339.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 62
Tank has been up for over a year. I have had this algae for probably 4-6 months. It is dust like, but very hard to remove. If it is Diatoms how long should it take to clear up?

aqua_chem said:
How long are your lights on?

They were on 11 hours per day but 2 days ago I changed to 6 hours per day. They are on a timer.

Thank you for all of your reply's. I hate to use chemicals but i have to do something. Will copper or Algaefix work (without harming fish)? How about aquarium salt?

Salt and copper are probably a bad plan. I wouldn't recommend algae fix either. You can look to see what the recommended BBA fixes are, but I would say that excel dosing would probably help you out some.

Thank you all. I'm more or less positive that it is BBA. I will start doing research for fixes.

Back
Top Bottom